Esteemed Contributor

Re: TODAY I TRAVELED TO MY BACK YARD

@KingstonsMom wrote:

If people have a lot of unwanted wildlife in their yards, humane traps are not that expensive.

I bought mine at Big Lots for $40.

The critter can stay in the trap until resources are available after the week-end or holiday to relocate or turn over to a wildlife rehab group if medical attention is needed, safe from you and your pets.

We've used ours to relocate many raccoons and possums, so it's well worth the price.

@KingstonsMom   Sorry I have no intentions of buying traps to catch a possible animal with rabies.  This is the first time this ever happened, and I have lived here for 15 years.  My hubby used to catch the squirrels and take them to the park.   I have seen possoms in the trees a few times.  Never on the ground.  I am a small person and animals when mad or hurt can be very dangerous.  I am not having traps in the yard when that is where my dog plays.  

Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

Poor raccoon I bet Raid on an open wound was pretty painful.

@KingstonsMom   I had no idea it had a wound.   It only got hit with a spray, because I was at such a distance.   When the lady got here, he was very alert and fighting her, so the Raid did nothing to the animal. 

Honored Contributor

@BalletBabe wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

If people have a lot of unwanted wildlife in their yards, humane traps are not that expensive.

The critter can stay in the trap until resources are available after the week-end or holiday to relocate or turn over to a wildlife rehab group if medical attention is needed, safe from you and your pets.

We've used ours to relocate many raccoons and possums, so it's well worth the price.

@KingstonsMom   Sorry I have no intentions of buying traps to catch a possible animal with rabies.  This is the first time this ever happened, and I have lived here for 15 years.  My hubby used to catch the squirrels and take them to the park.   I have seen possoms in the trees a few times.  Never on the ground.  I am a small person and animals when mad or hurt can be very dangerous.  I am not having traps in the yard when that is where my dog plays.  

Since raccoons and possums are nocturnal and forage for food at night, you put the traps out at night, I doubt that your dog plays in the yard after dark.

I'm a small person too, (100 lbs.), but once the animal is in the trap, it can't hurt you unless you stick your fingers in the trap.

And I will guarantee you that the possums you've seen in trees, were on the ground once it got dark enough, looking for food

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@BalletBabe wrote:

@jubilant wrote:

@BalletBabe

You did all you could. Fortunately my husband has a gun and if something is very wounded or dying he can put it out of it's misery.  We have seen people have to shoot skunks because they were most likely rabid, hanging around the barn and acting much like your raccoon.  I didn't mean to make you look guilty for the Raid....just suggesting that people keep these cage traps handy in case something like this ever happens again. I had a blue racer snake relocated once.  I think I called the Dept. Of Natural Resources or something that sounds like that. DH has also relocated many chipmunks that were over- running the yard.  We no longer have chipmunk problems due to feral cats that hunt in our back yard.  We have a neighbor 2 doors down that provides them shelter in the winter and feeds them but they still hunt.  

@jubilant   If my hubby would still be alive , he would have most likely tried to trap it.  The problem with shooting them is that you have blood then.  You have to have someone come out and spray and your not allowed to be in that part of the yard for af few days.  That would have been difficult with my dog.   It worked out best this way because he was cared for and released.  He didn't need to die.  Your fine about the Raid.  It was a few others that had to be snarky. One in particular seems to follow me no matter what I post and get negative.  I don't respond to her.  You said nothing wrong. 

@BalletBabe

I hope you aren't referring to me, as I had no reason/desire to be "snarky to you', I was simply trying to be informative about alternate solutions to your problem.

I've always enjoyed your posts and agree with most of them, but I disagree with using the Raid, you can't blame me for my opinion.

I just stated that I wouldn't have used the Raid and tried to offer alternate solutions for the future.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

@jubilant wrote:

@BalletBabe

You did all you could. Fortunately my husband has a gun and if something is very wounded or dying he can put it out of it's misery.  We have seen people have to shoot skunks because they were most likely rabid, hanging around the barn and acting much like your raccoon.  I didn't mean to make you look guilty for the Raid....just suggesting that people keep these cage traps handy in case something like this ever happens again. I had a blue racer snake relocated once.  I think I called the Dept. Of Natural Resources or something that sounds like that. DH has also relocated many chipmunks that were over- running the yard.  We no longer have chipmunk problems due to feral cats that hunt in our back yard.  We have a neighbor 2 doors down that provides them shelter in the winter and feeds them but they still hunt.  

@jubilant   If my hubby would still be alive , he would have most likely tried to trap it.  The problem with shooting them is that you have blood then.  You have to have someone come out and spray and your not allowed to be in that part of the yard for af few days.  That would have been difficult with my dog.   It worked out best this way because he was cared for and released.  He didn't need to die.  Your fine about the Raid.  It was a few others that had to be snarky. One in particular seems to follow me no matter what I post and get negative.  I don't respond to her.  You said nothing wrong. 

@BalletBabe

I hope you aren't referring to me, as I had no reason/desire to be "snarky to you', I was simply trying to be informative about alternate solutions to your problem.

I've always enjoyed your posts and agree with most of them, but I disagree with using the Raid, you can't blame me for my opinion.

I just stated that I wouldn't have used the Raid and tried to offer alternate solutions for the future.

@KingstonsMom   No, it was not you at all!   Your fine!

Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

Since raccoons and possums are nocturnal and forage for food at night, you put the traps out at night, I doubt that your dog plays in the yard after dark.

I'm a small person too, (100 lbs.), but once the animal is in the trap, it can't hurt you unless you stick your fingers in the trap.

And I will guarantee you that the possums you've seen in trees, were on the ground once it got dark enough, looking for food

@KingstonsMom    I saw them in my neigbors yard.  It was in her trees, They are huge trees.  She has a huge yard and wooded.  That was several years ago I saw it.   I do let my dog out during the night, because she is getting old and cannot hold it all night. 

My neighbor is growing grapes, Pineapples, tomatoes, and something else.  He said they are over there eating the stuff he is growing.   He also has chased them in the morning in his trash can.  He said two are full grown.  I am thinking that maybe this young one that was in my yard was their baby.  Or maybe they attacked it, because they were fighting over the food. 

I have a recycle bin out the side door and I was finding the coffee creamer bottles carried across the yard and full of chew marks.   So I moved the bins.  That was about 6 months ago.  I wash everything out but guess he still smelled it.  

Contributor

@phoenixbrd  

I thought the same thing.  I was also wondering if she infected the injury in its head by spraying it with raid!  Raid???  What is up with that!  How about just staying in your house and wait for the animal rescue rangers or whatever to come and take care of it.  Raid is roach spray meant to kill roaches, not an innocent animal.  Although somebody may think a roach is an innocent animal, I DON'T.  Dang, poor raccoon.

Contributor

@GCR18

Exactly... And it finds a home of a human being to try and get some help.  I'm sorry but I think the spraying of Raid roach spray on the raccoon by this person was just cruel.Smiley Sad

Contributor

@bmorechick

Wildlife was around way before you were!... And the way human being's are displaying their cruelty more and more, animals may be all that is left here again!

Contributor

@Kachina624

Again, I say to you, EXACTLY!!  Where is the common sense of people?  Why try to hurt the animal instead of calling animal control or 911... And if she was so fearful for her dog, how about bringing the dog in the house, DUH.  To purposely try to hurt or kill an innocent animal who made its way in your yard is cruelty.  Period.