Honored Contributor

Re: TODAY I TRAVELED TO MY BACK YARD

Poor raccoon I bet Raid on an open wound was pretty painful.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

It's a raccoon. I  probably wouldn't have put raid on it. I would have called someone, until someone came.  I hope it's fine. Yes, one does have to worry about rabies, if it was acting strange.

Super Contributor

It was obviously in distress by the looks of the picture.

Why anybody in their right mind would spray Raid on an animal is beyond me.

Funny story?  No, more like a pathetic need for attention.

Honored Contributor

We have a 30 acre woods behind us.  When we see an animal that wants to venture too close to the house we bait a live animal cage with a favorite food.  DH then takes it several miles away and lets it go along a river in the woods.   You have to be careful when you let them go because sometimes they turn and growl and would bite you if they could.  It's good you called someone to get this poor little fella.  I can't stand to see an animal suffer.

I realize from things you've said that you're not the Daniel Boone type...Ha!  If this happens again you might want to set one of those live cage traps and let someone else take it away. It might have gone in after the food. I'm glad you were able to get help finally.  I can't tell you how many critters we have had to trap (live traps only!).  One day I went out and we had a junior possum in the cage.  It was pouring down rain and kind of cold so I set the cage under a  awning and covered the cage till DH got home to relocate him.  Did he ever hiss at me! Oh, the stories I could tell but I will stop now! 

I used to go back in the woods by myself all the time.  Last summer I saw some bigger cat tracks (probably a bobcat) since they have been sighted around here lately and I know we have quite a few coyotes. I still go back occassional but most of the time now I walk back there with a neighbor. Usually they don't bother anyone but we do know of some dogs that have been killed when people left them chained outside. I'm glad you are protective of your doggie.  Rabies would have been my concern, too.

Honored Contributor

@BalletBabe Thanks for the photo. I would have freaked out too!

I agree with another poster, you should write a book. LOL! I would be the first in line when you autograph it. Heart  You have such an interesting way of writing of your experiences. You make me feel like I am right there with you, through it all.

Your posts always ensure that when I go out in my back yard that I hesitate a little, do the look-left, look-right routine, and then venture out. Hopefully, I never see what you do! ha! 

Esteemed Contributor

@forsythia1 wrote:

It was obviously in distress by the looks of the picture.

Why anybody in their right mind would spray Raid on an animal is beyond me.

Funny story?  No, more like a pathetic need for attention.

@forsythia1  Sorry that you feel that way but to be honest?  I don't care.  My first priority was my dog.  I made several calls on Sat when it first appeared and everything was closed.  then it vanished and i thought it left the yard.  When it returned on Tuesday, I assumed  it never left but was hiding.  My dog is my best friend and She was my first concern.  I had no way to get rid of it and had to try something.   Sorry you think I need attention, but you are wrong.  If I want attention, I have better places to get it then here.  Most people enjoyed the story, and sorry you didn't.  When everyone was telling me it most likely had rabies, my concern was the dog, not the Racoon. 

Honored Contributor

This was a distressing story for me.  The picture saddened me.  I am glad that this poor little guy received the help he needed and will be relocated to a safe environment.  

Esteemed Contributor

Raid on an animal? Say it ain't so.

Esteemed Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

We have a 30 acre woods behind us.  When we see an animal that wants to venture too close to the house we bait a live animal cage with a favorite food.  DH then takes it several miles away and lets it go along a river in the woods.   You have to be careful when you let them go because sometimes they turn and growl and would bite you if they could.  It's good you called someone to get this poor little fella.  I can't stand to see an animal suffer.

I realize from things you've said that you're not the Daniel Boone type...Ha!  If this happens again you might want to set one of those live cage traps and let someone else take it away. It might have gone in after the food. I'm glad you were able to get help finally.  I can't tell you how many critters we have had to trap (live traps only!).  One day I went out and we had a junior possum in the cage.  It was pouring down rain and kind of cold so I set the cage under a  awning and covered the cage till DH got home to relocate him.  Did he ever hiss at me! Oh, the stories I could tell but I will stop now! 

I used to go back in the woods by myself all the time.  Last summer I saw some bigger cat tracks (probably a bobcat) since they have been sighted around here lately and I know we have quite a few coyotes. I still go back occassional but most of the time now I walk back there with a neighbor. Usually they don't bother anyone but we do know of some dogs that have been killed when people left them chained outside. I'm glad you are protective of your doggie.  Rabies would have been my concern, too.

@jubilant   Daniel Boone, I am not----LOL    The last thing I needed was to get bit or scratched by an animal with rabies.    I was also told to call the police and they could shoot it, but when I called they said they could not help me.  I sprayed the Raid in hopes it would run off, but when it didn't, I thought the animal was dying.  He was in that spot on Sunday around 1:00 pm.  when he vanished, he was sitting under my tree, that Tuesday.   That is when I got the Raid.  I had to try something.  I made about 15 calls between the two days and I could get no help.  

Honored Contributor

Doesn't your dog have a rabies shot every year?

According to the CDC:

"Pets are vaccinated by your veterinarian to prevent them from acquiring the disease from wildlife, and thereby transmitting it to humans."

Maybe Raid should put yet another warning label on the can saying, "Not for use on animals, insects only".

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.