Esteemed Contributor

Re: TODAY I TRAVELED TO MY BACK YARD

@World Traveler wrote:

@BalletBabe YAAAY!!! You are back with your wonderful back yard stories. I have missed reading your posts. My day is always made when you post about your adventures in your back yard; I even like the one you did a long time ago about venturing out into your front yard. And your poor bird. I never know what you are going to write about it. ha!

As far as I am concerned, you have more adventures than I do traveling all over the world! LOL!

You always make my day. I know some just don't get your humor, but I do and it is much appreciated, @BalletBabe  You never fail to put a smile on my face.

Keep on keeping on! Heart

@World Traveler  Thank you so much and you keep me coming back!   Seriously why do I keep getting cornered with these things?   The people on facebook freaked me out because they said if it was bleeding , my yard would need sprayed.  It was bleeding.  Had a huge wound on the neck area, and the lady said something was laying eggs in the blood.  UGH UGH UGH   

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I'd be concerned about a wierd acting racoon out in the daytime since they're nocturnal.  If i couldnt get animal control, I'd call 911.  This could be very serious.  It should have been handled with a catch pole only.

You know I didn't want to call 911,but I did call the police and they said there was nothing they can do.  Seriously???   To leave a wild animal in someones yard that might have rabies.  Very Poor service. It must have been hiding in one of my trees for a few days.  I mowed and everything and I looked all around.  My luck it would jump on the tractor as I was mowing.   

Esteemed Contributor

Maybe I should have tried throwing my flip flops at it.  LOL   We even got a bad storm after I sprayed it with the hose and it never moved.  Lightening , Thunder and just stayed there.  

Super Contributor

@BalletBabe wrote:

Started out on the back patio, Let the dog out, looked to my left and thought why is that huge cat just laying in my yard??  Rush the dog back in,  and go out to look, the closer I got the more I realized that was no cat.  Is it dead?  I ask myself?   I Know I will get the hose.

Turned the hose on it.  Nothing---  Ran in got my phone, took it's picture and post it on facebook--- I have a Possum in my yard "What do I do"?    Posts start pouring in---THAT IS NO POSSUM THAT IS A RACOON.   DUH  I knew that just didn't think before I posted.   IT MOST LIKELY HAS RABIES STAY AWAY FROM IT----WHAT?????  Made a million phone calls and no one could help me.  (weekend)  A few hours later it was gone.  WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON I ASK MYSELF.

Checked the whole yard and looked in trees NO POSSUM OR RACOON.   LOL   Two days later, it is back.  ARGH!!!!  I go get a can of Raid and spray it.  Does not move.  Tried the hose again, does not move.  Start making calls again and finally get someone to come out, but they could not come for an hour.   I look out and he is sitting up licking all the Raid off of himself.  

Girl called and said is it still alive?  I said "yes and it is licking the Raid off". She said you sprayed it with Raid???  I said yep never leave my house without a can.

She gets here and shows up with a bath towel and a small crate.   I said "Who are you"  She said I am a volunteer.  I thought  WHAT!!!!!  okay, so I go to show her where it was and guess what?????   It is gone again.   She says there it is in the other tree.  It was making this growling sound and I said   " I am outta here"  She said "Do you have an egg"  I thought now I have to feed this thing breakfast???  I go in to get an egg and she had it in the crate by the time I came back out.  .   It started to scream and then so did I----I flew in the garage and my Parrot started screaming and then the dog started barking.   She said it is ok, He cannot get out of here.  

Seriously, I am done traveling to my back yard.  Maybe I should try a real vacation?  She called 3 days later,  and said it had a big bite on it's head that was infected.  No Rabies.

Trust me, you are better off in your yard.  I have travelled all over the world for most of my life.  Lately, not so much fun anymore.  I remember getting dressed up to fly.   Now they show up in dirty pajamas and house shoes.  You are cramped in with smelly, rude and nasty people.  If you can avoid getting sick on the plane and avoid bed bugs from the hotels I guess you had a good trip.  I now prefer my back yard with racoons and all the other critters. 

Esteemed Contributor

Here you go to all that think it was a dream.  This is the picture I posted on face book

racoon.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

@BalletBabe wrote:

Here you go to all that think it was a dream.  This is the picture I posted on face book

racoon.jpg

@Kachina624 @World Traveler@TW@mwmc@fthunt

Super Contributor

I know it was scary for you, but the way you told the story was funny!! You should be a writer. I would have reacted just as you did. I am so afraid of bugs and wild animals. I had a big spider on my bed last week and I couldn't sleep there for 3 nights I was so freaked out! 

Esteemed Contributor

@Wiscfan3 wrote:

I know it was scary for you, but the way you told the story was funny!! You should be a writer. I would have reacted just as you did. I am so afraid of bugs and wild animals. I had a big spider on my bed last week and I couldn't sleep there for 3 nights I was so freaked out! 

@Wiscfan3   I try to make my stories funny.   I was seriously freaking out.   You think that is bad???  Your spider???  I took my sheets off bed and threw blanket and spread on the floor.   When I went to make my bed there was a roach on the blanket.  It was as flat as a pancake.   LOLOLOL  I either rolled over on him and rolled him out or he was on the floor.  Everything ended up in the washer!!!!  I suddenly need to shower.   

Esteemed Contributor

@BalletBabe @Kachina624 Volunteers help other people!  Like you.  During off hours, weekends, holidays, 24/7 or whenever help is required.

Sounds like she had a cage to trap the raccoon with the egg, which would work a lot better than a pole (which I don't understand at all). 

I'm glad the poor little guy has received some medical attention. Hope the RAID didn't hurt his eyes. That's nasty stuff; guess FL residents may need to buy that stuff. Glad I don't have to deal with anything bad enough to buy RAID. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@BalletBabe @Kachina624 Volunteers help other people!  Like you.  During off hours, weekends, holidays, 24/7 or whenever help is required.

Sounds like she had a cage to trap the raccoon with the egg, which would work a lot better than a pole (which I don't understand at all). 

I'm glad the poor little guy has received some medical attention. Hope the RAID didn't hurt his eyes. That's nasty stuff; guess FL residents may need to buy that stuff. Glad I don't have to deal with anything bad enough to buy RAID. 

@BirkiLady   You don't live in Florida and not have a can of Raid in every room.  I know Volunteers help people but I feel if your dealing with a possible animal with rabies, it should be someone more experienced.  All she had was a dog carrier , a towel, and a pair of gloves.   She caught him and I wish I could have seen how she got him in it.  I went in to get an egg and she had him in it.