Esteemed Contributor

TODAY I TRAVELED TO MY BACK YARD

Started out on the back patio, Let the dog out, looked to my left and thought why is that huge cat just laying in my yard??  Rush the dog back in,  and go out to look, the closer I got the more I realized that was no cat.  Is it dead?  I ask myself?   I Know I will get the hose.

Turned the hose on it.  Nothing---  Ran in got my phone, took it's picture and post it on facebook--- I have a Possum in my yard "What do I do"?    Posts start pouring in---THAT IS NO POSSUM THAT IS A RACOON.   DUH  I knew that just didn't think before I posted.   IT MOST LIKELY HAS RABIES STAY AWAY FROM IT----WHAT?????  Made a million phone calls and no one could help me.  (weekend)  A few hours later it was gone.  WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON I ASK MYSELF.

Checked the whole yard and looked in trees NO POSSUM OR RACOON.   LOL   Two days later, it is back.  ARGH!!!!  I go get a can of Raid and spray it.  Does not move.  Tried the hose again, does not move.  Start making calls again and finally get someone to come out, but they could not come for an hour.   I look out and he is sitting up licking all the Raid off of himself.  

Girl called and said is it still alive?  I said "yes and it is licking the Raid off". She said you sprayed it with Raid???  I said yep never leave my house without a can.

She gets here and shows up with a bath towel and a small crate.   I said "Who are you"  She said I am a volunteer.  I thought  WHAT!!!!!  okay, so I go to show her where it was and guess what?????   It is gone again.   She says there it is in the other tree.  It was making this growling sound and I said   " I am outta here"  She said "Do you have an egg"  I thought now I have to feed this thing breakfast???  I go in to get an egg and she had it in the crate by the time I came back out.  .   It started to scream and then so did I----I flew in the garage and my Parrot started screaming and then the dog started barking.   She said it is ok, He cannot get out of here.  

Seriously, I am done traveling to my back yard.  Maybe I should try a real vacation?  She called 3 days later,  and said it had a big bite on it's head that was infected.  No Rabies.

Honored Contributor

Re: TODAY I TRAVELED TO MY BACK YARD

Wow what a story!  I have to say that I enjoyed reading it!  However I hope you dont have any more critter problems in your yard.

Maybe it is time for a getaway vacation! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I feel sorry for the animal...so was it a raccoon or what?  Is it OK...is the volunteer caring for the animal.  Will it be released?  I'm concerned about this animal who needed medical attention.  Hopefully it is receiving the care and loving assistance that is required.

Honored Contributor

I felt sorry for the animal too since it didn't move.  There is usually something wrong when an uncommon animal hangs out in plain sight during the day.

Respected Contributor

I would have died! I too carry and store Raid in every formula for every bug and even the smallest spider I drown. And I got the bug guy coming for the outside!

i would  have been way too scared to get close enough to spray it with Raid unless it was the hornet spray that goes in a long stream. Not a fan of wildlife. At all ...stay in your little nest or hole or wherever you live.

Respected Contributor

you sprayed a Racoon with Raid?!

Is Racoon listed on the can as one of the bugs it kills?

That stuff won't even kill the yellow jackets in my back yard.   But I'm glad the critter is being cared for.

Honored Contributor

Please don't take this personally @BalletBabe, but it amazing how little people know about the wildlife that shares their corner of the planet.  There's no resemblance between a cat, a raccoon, and a possum.  So which was it?  I guess I've always been interested in all animal life.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

it's been years since i've stepped foot off my back deck......never been fond of backyard wildlife!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Too many unanswered questions here - I recognize the poster's ID but this 'story' sounds more like a dream than reality. 

Esteemed Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

I feel sorry for the animal...so was it a raccoon or what?  Is it OK...is the volunteer caring for the animal.  Will it be released?  I'm concerned about this animal who needed medical attention.  Hopefully it is receiving the care and loving assistance that is required.

Yes it was a Racoon and it was held for several days to make sure it had no diseases.  They said it was most likely attacked by another animal.  I was concerned for my dog. They do treat them and release to a place better suited for them.  I imagine if it had rabies, it would have been put down.   BUT  my neighbor told me we have several roaming around.  The one in my yard was a young one, that is why I thought at first it was a cat.  Once a saw the tail, I knew it was no cat.  They are also nocturnal, which I didn't know.  They say when you see them in the daytime , they are most likely sick and a lot have rabies.  There have been several racoons near by with rabies.   They are nothing to mess around with.