Honored Contributor

Re: Suggestions for solo traveling

@missmouse12 I used to travel solo, making all my own arrangements for everything, sometimes waiting until I arrived at a place to figure out what I wanted to do. Kind of just going with the flow. I used to be like @Alter Ego and do all the legwork. She is very adventurous.

However, as I have gotten older, my choice of travel now is with groups. I like for a tour company to take care of all the arrangements (flight, hotel, tours, etc.), and I just show up at the airport.

I love using OAT (Overseas Adventure Tours) because they don't charge extra for single supplements. I like having a room to myself without the extra cost. They can also set you up with another single traveler if you prefer having someone else in your room. There is never more than 16 in the group with OAT, and they have quite active itineraries. If you don't feel like doing something the group is doing, you don't have to. They never make you feel obligated. 

I have used them over the years and find the quality and prices quite reasonable for what you get. Although they originally were geered for active people over 55 years old, I have seen much younger people on the trips with me. In addition, I have found that people on these type of tours go out of their way to make the single traveler feel comfortable, inviting them to join them on a separate outing or for meals. Most of the time I like to go off and do my own thing, but occasionally join in so they don't think I am standoffish.

There is also a women's travel company and they do a lot of hikes, but right now I can't think of the name of the company. 

Esteemed Contributor

Cruise

Frequent Contributor

Nashville is one of my favorite places, I haven't been there in almost 20 years. I will need to look into this. I didn't stay at the Gaylord when I went.......out of my price range at the time.

Thank you :-)

Frequent Contributor

Thank you all for some wonderful ideas, I will look into all of them. I don't worry so much about looking like a singel traveler, I am kind of a loner and enjoy my company!  I'm more concerned about safety. With all the awful things going on in the world sometimes I think I should not leave my house.

Respected Contributor

A few years ago I went on a week's vacation to New Orleans by myself while DH was out of the country.  I had the best time ever. I slept late everyday and took tours and met people from all over the world. I was rarely alone due to the crowds and police all over. I felt safe. 

Super Contributor

tbsr38:  Many years ago a friend who liked to travel alone gave me the following advice:  never, ever, look like a tourist, wearing a camera round your neck and a backpack, and carrying a map in your hand.  Apparently in many cities you could instantly become a "mark" for the not-so-nice locals.  She said she noticed how true this was a few years ago when she visited Paris, where groups of youths hung around the entrances to the Metro watching the tourists and she was told by a Parisian that that is exactly why the youths were there.  She advised to keep your camera, maps, etc. in your bag, and - as an example - to consult your map when inside a cafe.  I hope all of that makes sense.  I guess what I am trying to say is that you cannot be too careful with your own safety.

I realize you are a seasoned traveler and probably know all of this already, and also that you want to be visiting inside the US, but I still think it is good advice to keep in mind.

Happy traveling.

Trusted Contributor

Japan is the safest county for a lady to travel by herself. No questions asked, super polite people however the only caveat is the language. For some reason if you give me a map I can go anywhere but in Japan I had to prepare carefully my excursions.

In big cities like Tokyo or my favorite Kyoto, they speak English not in smaller towns. I went by myself to many places while my husband was working but I was in the bullet train line and that made things very easy. For Asia I would recommend that you join a tour. 

I also love sea cruise and river cruises. Sometimes you will find amazing deals.🌻

Contributor

Either a cruise or New Orleans. Love to do both by myself.

Honored Contributor

@missmouse12

@World Traveler

I want to second World Traveler's recommendation for Overseas Adventure Travel or their parent company Grand Circle Travel for solo travelers.  My first trip with OAT and as a solo traveler was to Africa and I felt very safe and well taken care of.  Last Fall I went to Ireland with GCT and felt the same.  As a woman and a solo traveler, I will always use these companies.  I'm sure there are other companies out there that do just as good a job, but OAT and/or GCT have so many options for different trips, that I don't see any reason to use anyone else.  Their trips are reasonably priced and, except for cruises, they do not charge extra for single travel, which is a big issue for me.  I'm not much of a cruise person, so that part isn't an issue for me - yet.  One never knows, I may go on another cruise at some point but didn't enjoy my first one so not so keen to do that again.  I hope you find a company or a trip that you feel comfortable taking.

Trusted Contributor

It depends on what kind of trip you want to take.  Do you want to sight see or just relax somewhere tropical and visit local sights?  I love doing all-inclusive resorts that are common throughout the carribean and Mexico. It's mostly couples, but you meet lots of folks and make friends. The resorts are convenient because all of your food and drink is paid for in advance, and they can usually help set you up with day trips.  I recommend Cancun, Cozumel, Puerto Vallarta, Punta Cana, Puerto Plata, Barbados and Bermuda.  If you visit Orbitz.com, you can book flights and the resort as a package, and it's a very user friendly site to navigate.