Frequent Contributor

Suggestions for solo traveling

Does anyone have recommedations for safe places for solo traveling?  I love cruises and have taken about 15 of them but as a solo traveler they tend to be pricy. I'm not really interested in Europe but there are so many other places to visit especially in this country.I live in New England so have been to all of the states here. 

I would welcome any thoughts.

Frequent Contributor

Re: Suggestions for solo traveling

A friend in similar circumstances recently went to San Francisco for a week.  She found plenty to do, and easy to get around.  

Honored Contributor

I've traveled to most places alone.

My favorites have been St. Augustine, FL, Charleston and Savannah.

I did the Grand Canyon and Sedona by myself as well as Nashville.

I always stay in hotels that require a card to use the elevator (St. Augustine) or you have to swipe your badge at a security desk before going in the elevators (Vegas and Nashville).

Nashville is fun because I stayed at the Gaylord and all the day tours leave from there, so it's a fabulous home base and you can walk around the shops/restaurants inside if you don't want to go out at night.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I did SF, too.  I was staying in a hotel near the Wharf for a conference.

I didn't have a car, so I walked all over, day and night and there were plenty of people on the main drag.

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Years ago I took a trip (solo) w/ group to Canada to the Shakespeare Festival. I paid extra for my own room so I would not have to share and liked the privacy. It was my first experience w/traveling alone. 

Respected Contributor

Santa Fe New Mexico for sure!  I went by myself and had a lovely time.  Had dinner with a lovely couple that I met in a walking tour, visited the O'Keeffe Museum, shopped at the Indian market, they had a lovely restaurant there (can't remember the name) I had breakfast at every morning that had a community table that you could sit and chat with people visiting from other states and countries.  Lovely lovely lovely beautiful place - went in spring and lilacs and wisteria were in full bloom. 

Respected Contributor

If you go to S. Francisco - stay in Union Square (Villa Florence is a great hotel)  - you can walk down to Fisherman's Wharf (good walk or take cable car), make sure you go to Cafe Puccini in North Beach for some coffee, shop at the huge Macy's in Union Square, visit the Rose Garden in Golden Gate Park.  Must sees.  Lots of shopping in Union Square area also.

Esteemed Contributor

I have done a lot of solo travel both here and in other countries, at times on tours for countries with language or other issues.  Have never had any problems.

One of the first considerations would about renting a car or not.  Now they have the talking maps this is so much easier.  It that is a bit much for you, then just pick a city with good public transport and go.  You will never regret it.

Honored Contributor

You might enjoy visiting the South,

The Biltmore Mansion in Asheville, NC

Or Savannah, GA

As far as being alone, I always move along with a crowd.   Or I kinda of glom on with a  couple or other group, just move along with them.   I try not to look like I am alone.  I try not to look like a tourist.   And I always make a connection wherever I go, like the hotel clerk or my waitress in a restaurant.

@missmouse12 wrote:

Does anyone have recommedations for safe places for solo traveling?  I love cruises and have taken about 15 of them but as a solo traveler they tend to be pricy. I'm not really interested in Europe but there are so many other places to visit especially in this country.I live in New England so have been to all of the states here. 

I would welcome any thoughts.

Honored Contributor

When I travel alone, I always get swept up with others.  People who travel are naturally more outgoing and extraverted, so people easily talk to others while touring.

I have posted before that I get asked to join others for meals (when I travel for business, it seems business men don't like to eat alone).

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN