Esteemed Contributor

Re: Suggestions for Pacific Coast Hwy girl's trip!

[ Edited ]

@A1brat: DH grew up in Santa Maria and we keep a trailer at Pismo Coast Village (usually spend 1-2 mths yearly).  We lived in Ridgecrest for 23 years and now live in Show Low AZ (mountains; three hrs from Phoenix). Hitching Post in Casmalia is our favorite steak place (Jockos is great steak but too loud and crowded).

Frequent Contributor

We love the Hitching Post in Casmalia, never had a bad meal there. Jocko's is okay, but even with reservations, you end up waiting up to 30 minutes. Santa Maria is having a building growth of stores. The next time you come, you'll have to take a drive down Betteravia at the freeway.  

Esteemed Contributor

@A1brat: My in-laws live very close to Betteravia Rd, so I know what you mean.  We will be in Santa Maria third week in August for DH's 50th H.S. reunion.

Respected Contributor

@pietook wrote:

Bless you Scraphappy!  This is EXACTLY info I was looking for!  I am printing it off to put in the folder with all my other notes.  I will think of you at Lover's Point! LOL  I appreciate the time it took for you to do this for us!!!  Thank you so very much!!

No problem at all.  Another note about Carmel by the Sea...it's a cute town full of shops and art.  There's stores to buy T-shirts and mugs and then you come across Tiffany's and Louis Vitton.  It also has many places to stay but they book up fast, but compared to accomodations elsewhere, it's expensive.  Also, I don't know when you plan on going, but if it's around Spring, Pacific Grove route near the coast (to Lover's Point) is covered in a blanket of those spreading purple flowers.

Super Contributor

@ScrapHappy wrote:

@pietook wrote:

Bless you Scraphappy!  This is EXACTLY info I was looking for!  I am printing it off to put in the folder with all my other notes.  I will think of you at Lover's Point! LOL  I appreciate the time it took for you to do this for us!!!  Thank you so very much!!

No problem at all.  Another note about Carmel by the Sea...it's a cute town full of shops and art.  There's stores to buy T-shirts and mugs and then you come across Tiffany's and Louis Vitton.  It also has many places to stay but they book up fast, but compared to accomodations elsewhere, it's expensive.  Also, I don't know when you plan on going, but if it's around Spring, Pacific Grove route near the coast (to Lover's Point) is covered in a blanket of those spreading purple flowers.

We will be going Oct. 27 and return Nov. 3.  Again, thanks much!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have only drove up from Baja Ca to Monterey. I love the scenic view of Pacific Coast Hwy. I would just have some sights in mind to visit, and take it from there. A week isn't a whole lot of time. Mainly just have fun.

Trusted Contributor

@pietook I live in NorCal and lived in Santa Cruz for 18 years (I'm a banana slug). I think it took us about 14 hours to drive from Sacramento to Portland. It'll take longer if you drive along the coast, but you'll see redwood forests. I recommend trying to book the Shanghai Tour in Portland, if you can. It's an underground tour since Portland had the most shanghai'ing of any other city. Strong men were served alcohol in bars, then the bartenders were paid to open a trap door, and the men were enslaved to work on ships. It's an interesting part of their history, and the docent was excellent. I think I saw it on Nat Geo or something right before my trip several years ago and was lucky to get us spots.

San Francisco is not the city it once was. I keep hearing people say that they don't like the City anymore. Of course it's historical and great, but there is a big homeless problem. My left-leaning friend who works in the Bay Area said that you have to walk over human poo or homeless people whenever you go out. My son goes there to see his dad every weekend and said that they can't go running outdoors (Presidio, Crissy Field, etc.) without almost stepping in human poo. One of the doctors I work for said that he won't go to another conference in SF since there are homeless people sleeping in the doorways of four-star hotels. I don't want to get political here; I'm only warning you that tourism has dropped: https://www.sfchronicle.com/news/article/Clean-up-San-Francisco-s-streets-tourist-12839281.php. Don't miss the Tonga Room!!! Smiley Happy

You may have seen my post about staying in San Rafael and going hiking at Point Reyes. There are great views and lovely hiking there. San Rafael has a mission that you can visit and some good restaurants. There's also more hiking in Marin (Stinson Beach and Muir Woods, and much, much more). 

Big Sur is one of my favorite places I've visited. The rain might've started by the time you get there, and roads are closed every year, it seems. I like the Ripplewood Inn or the Big Sur Inn. You can stay in a little cabin or a room with a kitchenette, hike during the day (love Andrew Molera State Beach), and make a nice dinner in the evening. You've seen Bixby Bridge in every car commercial. There are several unmarked hikes, so you may want to pull off the road where you see other cars parked. 

Don't miss the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Lover's Point is a famous spot, and Asilomar beach is pretty. I also recommend stopping at Point Lobos - I can't remember if it's a state or national park. There are several tide pools and easy walks. I spent quite awhile watching an otter trying to open a shellfish with a rock once. 

I love California, can you tell? Smiley Wink Have a great trip!

Super Contributor

About 8 years ago hubby and I did a road trip from Seattle to San Francisco.  We had a great time.  We spent a total of 8 nights.  I know a lot of people would find that pace way too rushed, but when we’re on a road trip (as opposed to a beach vacation, for example), we don’t mind a quicker pace.  We take road trips for the scenery, so we don’t mind spending time in the car (within reason).

We spent the first two nights in Seattle and then drove to Astoria, Oregon, which is a small town on the Columbia River.  Loved it.  Then we drove to Yachats, Oregon.  There is really nothing there except a great hotel that had the most spectacular location right on the Pacific Ocean.  We then drove to Ferndale, California, which is a tiny town made up of gingerbread style cottages.  Very quaint but tiny.  We stayed at an inn and had a very memorable meal at their restaurant.  We then drove to Sonoma, California.  We thought this was a highlight of the trip, but since you’re not into wineries, you could just go directly to San Francisco.  We had been to San Francisco before but this time was really special.  The Blue Angels were performing over San Francisco Bay just as we were boarding the ferry to return from Sausalito.  It was incredible and something I’ll always remember.  

The scenery along the Oregon coast was breathtaking as was Northern California.  I’ve been to Southern California, and, although I liked it, I think the scenery is much prettier to the north.

Whatever route you choose, I’m sure you’ll have an amazing trip.  I think half of the fun is in the planning!

Super Contributor

Thank you Pink for all the info!  Since this is a very shortened version of a great vacation, we probably will enjoy the view most of all.  So glad to know about San Fran!!  That is tragic!  My heart would burst with happiness if I could see an otter with a shell!  Thanks again for the input!

Super Contributor

Thank you Zoe!  Like you, we don't mind just seeing scenery----too old and out of shape to hike and wine gives me terrible migraines!  I am looking forward to Oregon and Northern CA scenery!  You lucked out seing the Blue Angels!!  That must have beean a special treat!  Thanks again for the input!