Super Contributor

Re: Suggestions for Pacific Coast Hwy girl's trip!

I guess we need to rethink our vay-cay!  I appreciate the help and info!  Please add more if you think of anything of help!

Respected Contributor

Stop at the Ronald Reagan library  near Santa Barbara in Similar Valley. Even if you don’t agree with his politics, the library and surrounding valley is beautiful. 

Honored Contributor

@tobes I've been there and totally agree! Beautiful looking out over the valley.

I enjoyed going inside the library too. Did it many, many years ago.

Esteemed Contributor

Check the roads before your plan your trip.  Parts of Hwy 1 are or were closed because of the rainstorms and floods.

Super Contributor

I had read about checking roads!  Thank goodness for Goggle Maps, GPS and all other gadgets!

Respected Contributor

@pietook wrote:

Two yrs ago my son, niece and I visitied Venice Beach, Santa Barbara, Santa Monica, and LA---rented a convertible and drove the coastline. It was wonderful.  This year my niece, a friend (both in 50's) and me (66) would like to maybe start in Seattle or Portland and drive down to San Fran or San Diego.  We only have a week.  Anyone have experience or suggestions for a trip like this? Itinerary? Any and all input would help. We are not interested in hiking or wine country. Read the weather would be good! By the way, we are from middle TN. We are researching, googling, and trying to study all!  Thanks all!!

I don't think one week is enough time.  My friend and her husband did it and it was a little over two weeks.  I used to live in California for 16 years (moved 2 years ago).  We drove once from Monterey to San Diego and it took about 10 hours.  We went to Disneyland often and that was at least 6-7 hour trip.  That's not going to PCH, which would take longer.  Maybe shorten the distance?  Start in Portland or Seatlle and go as far as San Francisco or the Central Coast?  I'm a littled biased to the Monterey Peninsula where we used to live.  It's beautiful there.  If the Monterey Peninsula is one or your stops (which includes Big Sur, Carmel/Carmel By The Sea, Monterey, and Pacific Grove) and would like tips and information as to where to go and what to do and restaurants, etc...just ask me. 

Super Contributor

Yes, please ScrapHappy!  Now we plan to start out at Portland, on the way down stop at several points of interst.  Days 5 and 6 and 7  will be San Fran area---on day Day 6 probably explore Pebble Beach, Carnmel, Big Sur----would love any input you want to share.  Day 8 will be headed to SFO airport and on to home.  We are on a budget---so no fancy hotels or restaurants---I am getting excited!! Thanks!

Respected Contributor

@pietook wrote:

Yes, please ScrapHappy!  Now we plan to start out at Portland, on the way down stop at several points of interst.  Days 5 and 6 and 7  will be San Fran area---on day Day 6 probably explore Pebble Beach, Carnmel, Big Sur----would love any input you want to share.  Day 8 will be headed to SFO airport and on to home.  We are on a budget---so no fancy hotels or restaurants---I am getting excited!! Thanks!

I'd be happy to.  First Pebble Beach:  17 mile drive.  There are two entrances, one on main highway(busiest) and not used that often by tourists is the PG (Pacific Grove) entrance.  There is a fee but if you're going to dine at say, Roys at The Lodge in Pebble Beach, they'll waive the fee (the used to anyway).  If you don't want to eat there, a popular and very nice thing to do is go outside to the patio and have a cocktail or appetizer or two.  Plan is around sunset, get there to have a spot before that and a lone bagpiper comes out to play.  The scenerey is breath taking.  There are fire pits in case it's chilly (usually is).  While on 17 mile drive, don't forget to at least stop and get picture of the Lone Cypress.  In Monterey, there is Cannery Row and the Monterey Bay Aquarium.  There are all sorts of restaurants and tourist stuff there.  Bubba Gumps and Johnny Rockets comes to mind.  If you want a very good local place, there is First Awakenings.  Right across the street from the aquarium.  Take not it's always super busy and open from 7:30a.m. to 2/2:30 p.m.  The aquarium is right on the border of Monterey and PG (Pacific Grove), you can continue to drive that stretch of rode right by the ocean.  It's very pretty there.  A lot of victorian homes.  Not a lot to do there but there is a fairly new restaurant called the Beach House on Lover's Point.  My husband gave me my engagement ring there when it was under a different name.  Alvarado Street in Monterey is where the night life is and a popular restaurant called Rosines.  There is also Fisherman's Wharf in Monterey.  Very small.  Carmel by the Sea.  Favorite restaurants were Tommy Woks and Little Napoli.  Tommy Woks is very small and they don't take reservations but it's the best chinese food we've ever had.  Carmel Beach is a must see.  One of the most beautiful beaches in the world.  There is also the Carmel Mission and right down the road from the Carmel Mission is Mission Ranch.  A hotel/motel of sorts but most know for its restaurant The Mission Ranch Inn because it's owned by Clint Eastwood (seen him there a couple of times).  Further down from Carmel, and a bit of a drive is Big Sur.  Along the highway way before Big Sur you'll see signs for state parks like Point Lobos....beautiful.  You can drive across Bixby Bridge.  A popular place for people to stop is Nepenthe, not so much for the food (it's always undegoing new management, but the scenerey).  I forgot about the Tuck House in Carmel by the Sea.  It's adorable on the outside, limited menu inside.  Known for its scones with jelly and cream and tea.  My mother in law always wanted me to take her there.  Limited hours: 7 a.m. to 2:30.  Also forgot to mention Hearst Castle, it's beyond Big Sur.  Keep updated on weather and road conditions, expecially when traveling Big Sur.  If there is a wildfire or severe rain, there will be road closures and mud/rock slides.  Hope this helps.  I really enjoyed all the natural beauty in that area.  Many times you'd hear the newscasters say "it's like living in paradise."  Have a wonderful trip.

Super Contributor

Bless you Scraphappy!  This is EXACTLY info I was looking for!  I am printing it off to put in the folder with all my other notes.  I will think of you at Lover's Point! LOL  I appreciate the time it took for you to do this for us!!!  Thank you so very much!!

Frequent Contributor

Patbz, are you a central coast resident? I live in Santa Maria, these are all in my backyard. I enjoy the Hitching Post in Casmalia too, not as trendy as the Santa Ynez one. Was a surprise to see places mentioned from our area.