Super Contributor

Re: Suggestion for gifts to give to relatives living in Italy

@kittyloo wrote:

when my friend was traveling alot to russia, he needed alot of small "hostess" type gifts. 

wanted them to be made in the usa.  One of the most popular was "See's" candy.  they have several sized boxes. 

who doesn't like chocolate?

You cannot compare Italy and Russia.  Italy has some of the best quality food in the world.  Do I need to mention Italian ice cream, to die for.  Nothing else compares.  They also have some of the best deserts.  American chocolates and deserts are always way too sweet.  I would not take food items to a country that has the best. 

Honored Contributor

macadamia nuts....maybe they are difficult to find in italy and definitely an american treat. maybe with some dried candied pineapple?

peanuts from virginia

new orleans coffee with chicory.....from cafe du monde

maybe some spices that are distinctly american.......bbq rubs, old bay seasoning, chicago steak seasoning

maple syrup or maple syrup products if you dont want to carry liquids.

salt water taffy

caramel popcorn with peanuts

soaps or creams or lotions......something like beekman? you could do one of their small soaps with a pretty inexpensive soap dish.....tie a piece of ribbon around the soap and soap dish and you are all set.

if they celebrate the christmas holiday, how about a pretty ornament?

you could also always ask what they would like from the states.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@TW wrote:

I see some people suggested food items.  Why would you take food to a country that has the best quality and best tasting food in the world?  I would take them out to dinner.  It's hard enough to pack a suit case for overseas travel without having to worry about gifts, the legality, customs, etc. 

i think that is a subjective statement and there are always wonderful food items that they may not get in italy or may be too expensive to get if they can.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein