Esteemed Contributor

Suggestion for gifts to give to relatives living in Italy

Not  much made in America anymore and most countries have what we have, like it or not.  Friend is traveling to Italy and wants to know what to bring to relatives.  No liquid please.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Suggestion for gifts to give to relatives living in Italy

I’m not exactly sure what you are allowed to bring food-wise on a plane....if it’s ok maybe some jars of preserves/jams from a company like American Spoon Foods.  A piece of locally made pottery.  A copy of an old photo of a common relative in a frame.  A small album of up-to-date photos of the American relatives, labeled with names.

Honored Contributor

Pecans?  Wood cutting board or spoons etc. made from native woods and made in USA?  Piece of southwest made jewelry--or home item.  Small native wood bowl?

Something Native American made--southwest theme.

Book about southwest USA?  If they read a Tony Hillerman novel or two.  

Esteemed Contributor

If they are visiting Rome, definately something from the Vatican.

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry, I misread, thought they were buying gifts in Italy!! LOL

Honored Contributor

Maybe you can peruse Etsy (dot com) and find something made in America that would make a nice gift.

Honored Contributor

Martha Stewart promotes a made in America line.  There might be some options there.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

The best gifts are personal and meaningful. Without knowing the giver or the receiver, that's difficult.

I would recommend taking them out for a meal or cooking for them, instead. A shared experience and time spend together is often the best gift.Your friend could always bring along a favorite American reciupe and ask if they would like to have that for dinner and offer to cook.

Respected Contributor

when my friend was traveling alot to russia, he needed alot of small "hostess" type gifts. 

wanted them to be made in the usa.  One of the most popular was "See's" candy.  they have several sized boxes. 

who doesn't like chocolate?

Super Contributor

I see some people suggested food items.  Why would you take food to a country that has the best quality and best tasting food in the world?  I would take them out to dinner.  It's hard enough to pack a suit case for overseas travel without having to worry about gifts, the legality, customs, etc.