Honored Contributor

We'll be spending a long weekend there next week.  Aside from the museum at the base of the Arch which I remember as being excellent, any recommendations for what to see and do? And restaurants?

We will be staying within walking distance of the Arch and will not have a car.

TIA!!

Honored Contributor

I understand the Missouri Botanical Garden is very good.  And, of course, you can't miss Busch Stadium, where the Cards play.

Esteemed Contributor

@kaydee50 

No suggestions, but your post made me homesick!  I lived across the river in a tiny town and commuted to St. Louis for several years early in my working career.

I worked in the buildings very near the Arch and watched it being built.  They were called Mansion House at the time.   We used to go to the Red Onion for lunch....there were many nice lounges back then, but they were open for lunch and served the downtown community. 

Then I worked down the street near Trader Vics (long gone) at a place called the Missiouri Athletic Club.  

There were other places on the rebuilt and refurbished waterfront that played jazz at night.

Have not been home in years so I know it has all changed...but it was a nice walk down memory lane for me.

I'm sure some current residents will have some ideas for you!

New Contributor

Re: St. Louis, MO Residents

[ Edited ]

Oh my yes. The Zoo is state of the art, and Free! The Fox Theatre is fantastic. Restaurants abound, eclectic University City with a stop at Blueberry Hill with Chuck Berry and several R & R artists history, great food and ambience. Fitz's Root Beer restaurant and you can watch the best ever root beer being made. Catch a concert if you can at the Ampitheatre, Fox Theater, or the Pageant! Ted Drewe's Custard, a classic! The Art Museum within the Forest Park area is awesome, always have an exhibit going on. Also free entry! The Science Center is the best with an Omnimax inside as well, also exhibits always going on.

The Basilica of St. Louis, the Old Cathedral, right in front of the redone Arch grounds, totaly worth a tour. Also Free!  The Union Station is being redone downtown with  a huge aquarium and a pletora of other activites, but I believe it is not completed yet. The Broadway Oyster Bar is the BEST Cajun food ever, think Crawfish Bisque, with awesome Blues bands playing, also free, no cover charge, and the ambience at the Broadway Oyster Bar is one of a kind. That  is a start!! 

Welcome to the area. A weekend is not enough!! And do not believe the hype about danger, all cities have it. Be aware of your surroundings! And if you are into baseball, Go Cards and see a game!! Ballpark Village has everything you would ever want or desire.  Travel safe and have fun!! 

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Unfortunately, most of the things that are being suggested are not in the downtown area (you would need a car). The Cardinals are not in town this weekend, but there are several restaurants located in Ballpark Village (which is next to Busch Stadium).

Super Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

We'll be spending a long weekend there next week.  Aside from the museum at the base of the Arch which I remember as being excellent, any recommendations for what to see and do? And restaurants?

We will be staying within walking distance of the Arch and will not have a car.

TIA!!

Because you do not have a car, you can visit the Soldier’s Memorial and the old Court House. Both if these are in downtown. The Campbell House museum is in the downtown area too. The Field House Museum may also be within walking distance from your hotel. You may also want to consider St Louis Trolley tours. 

Occasional Contributor

I would suggest Grants Farm, the brewery and The Hill for wonderful Italian food, but could you take an Uber?  We were downtown this past weekend for 2 cardinal games and had a blast. STL got a bad rap a couple years ago and yes there is problem areas in every city but enjoy the beauty, and history of this city! Welcome 

Respected Contributor
If interested an outdoor theater in Forest Park - The Muni.
Esteemed Contributor

@stlshelley 

Have you ever gone to the Chatillon-DeMenil Mansion?

Last time I was in St. Louis, it was still operating as a restaurant.  In checking, it looks like they are now just doing tours.  It's not far from the AB Brewery.

One of the most beautiful places in St. Louis!