Honored Contributor

We are heading to St. Joseph Michigan for the Memorial Day weekend....anyone been there? If so, are there any can't miss shops?

Esteemed Contributor

IS there a particular reason you are going there?  THe town only has 8300 residents and on trip,advisor the only shops are Two farmers markets and 1 antique store.  DOesn't seem like a thriving community.

Regular Contributor

I love St. Joseph, Michigan. It's a very nice area of the state. I'll be in the Midwest next month, and I always incorporate a visit to St. Joe into my vacation. If you're a QVC watcher, you probably know that Dan Wheeler hails from St. Joe. He speaks of it highly.

On the first Sunday of the warmer months (May - October) St. Joe has what is called Antiques on the Bluff. It's fun to walk along the bluff arera as you peruse the antiques and artwork. 

From that bluff, you can see the Silver Beach Carousel below. It's beautiful and fun to ride. And don't forget to walk along Silver Beach itself -- it's lovely for a picnic or a dip into the waters of Lake Michigan.

St. Joe is home to the Krasl Art Center. If you don't have enough time to tour the art center, perhaps you could walk along its grounds to see what artwork is on display there. http://www.krasl.org/

I don't know if you have children, but the Curious Kids' Museum is located in downtown St. Joe. The kids love it there.

One of my favorite things to do in St. Joe is to walk through its downtown area. You'll find plenty of shops and restaurants there. My favorite store is an old-fashioned five & dime store. I forget its name (G & M Variety, I think) but no visit to St. Joe is ever complete unless I stop there to buy postcards, souvenirs, and plenty of other things that you would expect to find in a good five & dime store.

Southwest Michigan has a website that oftentimes lists some of the events that are happening in that area of the state. The website is 

http://www.swmichigan.org/southwestern-michigan-events.html

It lists events for some of the cities and towns that have events going on. I always take a look at it whenever I'm in the Midwest.

Enjoy your trip to St. Joseph. I hope you have a lovely time there.

Regular Contributor

Here's the link to the St. Joseph, MI, visitors guide:

http://sjcity.com/

St. Joe is called the Riviera of the Midwest. 

Trusted Contributor

I was in St. Joseph, MI, in early September. We were just passing through on our way to Holland, so we did not see a lot. I had packed a picnic lunch and we stopped at the park on the beach to eat lunch and walk. It was beautiful, so I would suggest that.  The thing that really sticks in my mind is that there were so many antique shops with huge amounts of antiques just spread all over the lawn. They were very interesting. We did not check out the downtown or any restaurants. I hope you enjoy your trip. It is a really beautiful area.

Honored Contributor

Thanks everyone for the positive replies......I am getting excited to go on our short excursion.... St Joseph sounds like a great place and both DH and I like antiques so that is a plus!  Again thanks for taking the time to reply.

Valued Contributor

Re: St. Joseph Michigan

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

We are heading to St. Joseph Michigan for the Memorial Day weekend....anyone been there? If so, are there any can't miss shops?

Our son is participating in a nice art show there, Krasl Art show, the weekend of July 8-9 this year, they always do well there..

Since this topic earlier today, we are now planning on going there for the Krasl art show..it is just a 4 hr drive for us & the area sounds beautiful! Have fun on your trip!

Honored Contributor

St. Joe should be alive and kickin' for Memorial Day weekend.  It's a really pretty area.  My sisters, BIL's, DH and I met there last summer for great Mexican food at Azul Tequilla.  My sister & BIL who live in Holland, MI drive to St. Joe from time to time for pizza at Silver Beach Pizza.