Esteemed Contributor

We have been to Barcelona but not Portugal.  We are booked next May (2020) for a river boat cruise on the Douro river that will stop at ports in Portugal and Spain.  You see places in a different view on the river boats, this will be our 4th one, having done the Rhone, Danube and the Rhine.  We love it!!  Great way to travel.

@Overseas Traveler  Your description sounds wonderful of that area!

Respected Contributor

Our 2nd trip overseas!  Went to Amsterdam, Brussels, Paris,  London and Dublin.  Amsterdam and London top the list.  Went for a total of 19 days so we saw alot.  Next time we would focus on 1 or 2 countries like we did in Italy.  Saw that from bottom (Sicily) to top (Lugano, Switzerland).  Still loved Italy the most!!

Trusted Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

We have been to Barcelona but not Portugal.  We are booked next May (2020) for a river boat cruise on the Douro river that will stop at ports in Portugal and Spain.  You see places in a different view on the river boats, this will be our 4th one, having done the Rhone, Danube and the Rhine.  We love it!!  Great way to travel.

@Overseas Traveler  Your description sounds wonderful of that area!

I am going on that cruise in September. We are really looking forward to it. I have already booked a cooking class in Lisbon and have a couple other things in mind. The rest, I will leave to the cruise. I can let you know how it is.  

I was in Barcelona and Valencia last year. Loved both but would really like to spend some time in Valencia.

Respected Contributor

Re: Spain and Portugal?

[ Edited ]

WOW @lolakimono   😲

Do you speak other languages then? How lucky you were. 

I was reading all the places you have all gone to visit. How fun !!! 

My parents were always traveling. My grandmother took everyone (not me)  my sister + cousins to Europe...and Africa. For some strange reason, I will/would not leave home even when very young........

(( I did a tiny bit like to Montana in the wild west Grizzly bear back country....)) 

Everyone have fun that is traveling! Be safe~

____

ETA -I also went to Canada, Tahoe and Las Vegas...sort of traveling...

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Honored Contributor

@cbrite 

Yes, I am a Spanish teacher.Cat Happy

I also studied Russian in high school and a bit of French in graduate school.

While in Europe, my friends and I spent a month traveling over the Christmas break: Portugal, France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Czech Republic, Italy, Belgium, Hungary, the Netherlands, etc.

Respected Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

@cbrite 

Yes, I am a Spanish teacher.Cat Happy

I also studied Russian in high school and a bit of French in graduate school.

While in Europe, my friends and I spent a month traveling over the Christmas break: Portugal, France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Czech Republic, Italy, Belgium, Hungary, the Netherlands, etc.

@lolakimono 

Oh my gosh @lolakimono !!!!!!! I am so impressed ! I love all those languages!! You must be a wonderful teacher..... you have a world. of wealth in your heart and mind then. Is a lovely combination. I could sit and ask you so many questions...it's what I do, I love to learn..... I crave knowledge.... and you put up neat photos of homes and decor... You are also humble..... A most gifted woman and human being. I am honored to meet you in a way here. Gracias...Greetz...Ciao...I am Belle Mer....🐳

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Respected Contributor

@bargainsgirl 

I too have been to both.  Despite the fact they border each other, they are very different countries. 

You've been given a lot of great information so I really do not have anything to add.  I do second the suggestion, unless you love VERY HOT weather, do not go in July or August.  Also, Madrid is a city I would never revisit.

Esteemed Contributor

I've been to both and lived in Madrid a year when I was younger.  I'm not fond of Portugal tho the beaches are nice.  I do love Spain especially Barcelona which, imo, is one of the most beautiful cities in Europe.  I love Dali's art and took a side trip to Fiqueras which was an experience.  

Respected Contributor

As you see from these answers everything is a matter of taste and opinion. 

I would grab some books ( even just tour books, nothing complicated) , read and figure out what would you want to see. 

But  any any of these countries you decide to visit, please, do not combine them in 1 trip ( they really dislike each other). Do not go in July and August. September -October is a very good time, especially Spain. Portugal is fine in May- June too. 

English is is better spoken in Portugal, more cultural things to see and learn I Spain, natural beauty is more prominent in Portugal, the people are much nicer and helpful in Portugal too. Again, personal opinion.

Good luck with planning. 

PS.  I just came back from Portugal and will post some pictures.