Honored Contributor

Well so I had pretty much decided that I would not do any travelling in 2018.  I'm making 2 trips this year - NYC in May and England, Wales, Scotland in August/September.  Figured I would just stay home next year and save my money plus I'm feeling pretty uncertain and uncomfortable with the current world situations so wasn't sure I felt comfortable travelling internationally.  Until......I got an email from a friend of mine and now it looks like I might be going to Spain/Portugal in April 2018.  Didn't take much arm twisting to get me to say yes!  We'll see in the next few weeks if we can work out a trip once the dates come out from the travel company - I want to do a pre-trip and they don't so we'll see what options are available once the dates for the trips are sent out.  

@World Travelerhave you ever taken the In Depth Spain/Portugal trip through GCT?

Going to Spain is part of the "roots" trips I've been doing - Ireland last year, England this year.  My mother was born in Barcelona and lived there until around age 8 when she went to England to go to school.  Her parents were English and my grandfather had a business there.  My grandparents passed away long before my mother met my father so I did not know them.  My grandmother is buried in Barcelona and my sister has the address of where my mother used to live.  My sister has been and seen both.  So it'll be a meaninful trip for me.  Plus I remember  my mother talking about Barcelona and the beaches and other things.

Guess my plans of not travelling and saving money didn't last long.....think it was about 2 days between finally deciding to stay home and I got the call from my friend and his wife!  HAHA

Respected Contributor

I visited only Barcelona and took dat trips from there. Amazing, fun and beautiful city.

We spent 6 wonderful days there. Highly recommend!!! Architecture is to die for!!!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@JudyL- was in Spain and Portugal this past September.  I travel quite a bit and I loved the trip. Both countries have a rich history, welcoming people,  and relatively safe as one can be today.  I lived in Spain for 9 months when I was younger and I've always enjoyed going back.  Barcelona is one of my favorite cities in the world and I just love it.  We drove about an hour from Barcelona with an art historian and visited the Dali Museum in Figueras and it was a great experience.  I love Dali but even if you don't like art it is unique and fun.  Of course, the Gaudi architecture in Barcelona is just fabulous and the cathedral is just so different, unique and breathtaking.  But, I love all of Spain.  Portugal has beautiful beaches, loved the Fado houses, the food and its rich history as well.  It's really a great trip and both countries are so interesting...really nothing bad about either place.  I love animals and one of our favorite day trips was the Royal riding academy in Andulucia....the horses were amazing and so friendly and playful; they really love humans and seem to understand when you speak to them and interact.  I highly recommend both countries.

Esteemed Contributor

I admit that Spain wasn't necessarily a place that I was interested in visiting. In fact, on my first Mediterranean cruise, we flew into Barcelona the same day it embarked!  But, in September 2014, the Oasis of the Seas needed to return to Europe for its refurbishment and was offering limited Mediterranean cruises out of Barcelona.  As the cruise itself was only 5 nights, I added three nights in Barcelona and now have nothing but praise for the city.  Just really nice.  As I was traveling alone, I did a couple of food tours and loved loved loved the tapas!  I also did the free walking tour, but admit that I learned so much the night before on my food tour that I thought it was a waste of my limited time.  You will be told (and rightly) to make a stop at the market on the Ramblas.  Should have done a few more days.

On that earlier cruise, we also stopped in Valencia and Malaga.  The latter was a substitute port so we were unable to go to the Alhambra on such short notice.  I remember enjoying the Valencia stop but admit that I was disappointed that we were not going to the original stops, so I don't really recall much about Malaga. 

Happy to hear that you will continue traveling into 2018!

Honored Contributor

Re: Spain/Portugal Anyone?

[ Edited ]

@JudyL wrote:

@World Travelerhave you ever taken the In Depth Spain/Portugal trip through GCT?

@JudyL No, I did not go there with GCT. My father, sister, and I went there in September 1987. My dad usually used Globus at that time. That trip was to Holland, Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Portugal, and Spain. The three of us had a great time! I am quite sure GCT would do a bang-up job for that area. They always do. 

Honored Contributor

We did a Globus tour Spain, Portugal & Morocco. (ugh)  Our most pleasant surprise was the seashore area near Lisbon. (Lisboa)  We loved Cascais.

Esteemed Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

We did a Globus tour Spain, Portugal & Morocco. (ugh)  Our most pleasant surprise was the seashore area near Lisbon. (Lisboa)  We loved Cascais.

@lulu2- I agree Portugal has beautiful beaches with great restaurants along the shore..

Trusted Contributor

I work in a school and Spain/Portugal is the trip for next year.  We went to Barcelona a few years ago, the students loved it.  Would love to see Portugal.

I'm hoping I'm asked to chaperone that trip next year.  Woman Happy

Next month we are going to Budapest/Vienna/Prague.

Honored Contributor

@roeroe1005 wrote:

I work in a school and Spain/Portugal is the trip for next year.  We went to Barcelona a few years ago, the students loved it.  Would love to see Portugal.

I'm hoping I'm asked to chaperone that trip next year.  Woman Happy

Next month we are going to Budapest/Vienna/Prague.

@roeroe1005

I knew I'd like Vienna but didn't have the greatest of desires to visit Budapest and Prague.  Both cities were WONDEFUL.

Enjoy your trip.

Trusted Contributor

lulu,

Looking forward to visiting Prague!  I used to work for a food company that owned Gevalia, some of which was from Vienna, so I can't wait to taste the coffee!