Esteemed Contributor
Can someone provide a little info on Johannesburg's airport? I'll be there in November. Is it a modern facility or difficult to get around.

To kathybnc2, there are different levels of camps. Some people really want a rustic camping experience- I've read one trip report where people shared a shower. I would never do that; when I was in Kenya, I had modern toilets/showers in all locations. But, there were limited times when the water could be heated (usually the times you would be using them) and there was no air conditioning or heat. I think there may have been a fan and, if necessary, we were provided with a hot water bottle to keep feet warm. The beds I stayed in were comfortable.

I think a lot of people are worried about what they will eat, only to find out there's nothing to worry about. Should be food you recognize. Just follow some rules about what you eat - like, probably shouldn't have lettuce that's been cleaned in the local water.

Water is fine to take a shower. Drink bottled water, including using bottled water to brush your teeth. It likely will be provided to you.

As already commented, you should check with your doctor what precautions you should take. My hospital has a place specifically for travel medicine - their comments can be a little scary, but that's their job.

My typical day was waking very early to tea and cookies and then going on a game drive. Return for breakfast. I think we went back out before lunch. Had time to rest before taking a 3rd outing. In one location, I had the opportunity to go on a night drive - in which I was the only person in a very busy camp to go! They were all drives, nothing strenuous. In fact, some women felt they weren't getting enough exercise.

If you know the names of the lodges/camps you would be staying in, look them up on TripAdvisor. Read the reviews and look at the photos.
Esteemed Contributor

@kathybnc2 wrote:

Thank you, Judi.  I am so on the fence whether to go or not.  I would land in Johannesburg and then travel 2 1/2 hrs to a lodge somewhere Limpopo(?)

I'm not very adventurous and am concerned about food, water, safety.  Any thoughts you

provide would be greatly appreciated.

@kathybnc2- I echo what Judi has mentioned.  All of the lodges I stayed in were comfortable and safe.  They give you safety tips and if you follow them, all should be fine.  I did multiple safaris and was very close to beautiful animals running free....I never felt threatened.  I would say my walk with the lions was one of the highlights of my life.  Africa is transformative and if you have the opportunity, don't miss it....I did not go to Limpopo...

Esteemed Contributor

@Alter Ego wrote:
Can someone provide a little info on Johannesburg's airport? I'll be there in November. Is it a modern facility or difficult to get around.

To kathybnc2, there are different levels of camps. Some people really want a rustic camping experience- I've read one trip report where people shared a shower. I would never do that; when I was in Kenya, I had modern toilets/showers in all locations. But, there were limited times when the water could be heated (usually the times you would be using them) and there was no air conditioning or heat. I think there may have been a fan and, if necessary, we were provided with a hot water bottle to keep feet warm. The beds I stayed in were comfortable.

I think a lot of people are worried about what they will eat, only to find out there's nothing to worry about. Should be food you recognize. Just follow some rules about what you eat - like, probably shouldn't have lettuce that's been cleaned in the local water.

Water is fine to take a shower. Drink bottled water, including using bottled water to brush your teeth. It likely will be provided to you.

As already commented, you should check with your doctor what precautions you should take. My hospital has a place specifically for travel medicine - their comments can be a little scary, but that's their job.

My typical day was waking very early to tea and cookies and then going on a game drive. Return for breakfast. I think we went back out before lunch. Had time to rest before taking a 3rd outing. In one location, I had the opportunity to go on a night drive - in which I was the only person in a very busy camp to go! They were all drives, nothing strenuous. In fact, some women felt they weren't getting enough exercise.

If you know the names of the lodges/camps you would be staying in, look them up on TripAdvisor. Read the reviews and look at the photos.

@Alter Ego- The Johannesburg Airport has been modernized, easy to navigate and very nice shopping.  It's safe and clean.   The Airline lounges are shared but really lovely and comfortable, actually nicer than NYC....The lodges are described in depth by the company that books your tour.  I was in one that was very comfortable and another very rustic, with no air conditioning, a shower outside but attached to our tent, used only by us.  We used lamps in our tents as there was no electricity.  The food all through South Africa was delicious, fresh and safe.  I had no problems with food.  The only exotic choices were in Capetown.  I seem to recall eating a lot of vegetables, fruits and salads while on safari except for 2 barbecues which were the traditional foods. 

Frequent Contributor

Thank you all for the excellent information.  You make me feel much better and more comfortable.  My son is going on a safari (photo variety) in Sept.  and it was suggested that I could tag along.  I'm in the early planning stages, trying to figure out if I can afford it, care for 3needy cats (lol), and all the little things that go along with planning such an eventful trip.  As I said, I will be 72, fairly decent shape, so I'm also trying to decide if I can do a 17 hr(?) flight with another 21/2 hr drive after that.  The lodge looks very nice in the pictures, and they state hot and cold running water and flushing toilets.  

On a lighter note, what suggestions do you have for souvenirs to bring back?  My son wants to find several of something easily transportable, and inexpensive to bring back to folks at work,  Has your experience been that you go to villages and purchase from locals?  Is it better to pay with American $ or SA $. Same question for gratuities.

Again, thank you.  Feeling more at ease.

Esteemed Contributor

@kathybnc2 wrote:

Thank you all for the excellent information.  You make me feel much better and more comfortable.  My son is going on a safari (photo variety) in Sept.  and it was suggested that I could tag along.  I'm in the early planning stages, trying to figure out if I can afford it, care for 3needy cats (lol), and all the little things that go along with planning such an eventful trip.  As I said, I will be 72, fairly decent shape, so I'm also trying to decide if I can do a 17 hr(?) flight with another 21/2 hr drive after that.  The lodge looks very nice in the pictures, and they state hot and cold running water and flushing toilets.  

On a lighter note, what suggestions do you have for souvenirs to bring back?  My son wants to find several of something easily transportable, and inexpensive to bring back to folks at work,  Has your experience been that you go to villages and purchase from locals?  Is it better to pay with American $ or SA $. Same question for gratuities.

Again, thank you.  Feeling more at ease.

@kathybnc2- you will do ok on the flight...I was 70 when I went to Africa and 72 when I went to Austrailia.  So as long as you are healthy, wear the compression stockings and get up and walk a little during the flight, you will do ok.  But, start your immunizations now.  Though Hepatitis a and B is not required, my travel doctor advised it and he updated my Tetanus....Yellow Fever may be required but I believe they may advise against it as age increases.  I got the immunization but if your doctor feels you can not get it, you must produce a waiver.  Check the exact region you are traveling to on the CDC website for the requirement...they did check in Zambia for YF immunization or waiver. I purchased T shirts and beautiful art and artisan pieces  in the bigger cities and used US Currency and I had local currency as well...in the small villages, they preferred local and in the lodges either was ok.  I purchased beautiful jewelry, ethnic beads, necklaces, bracelets earrings  made by locals, mostly women.  I purchased some small wood pieces as well made by local men and some lovely ethnic scarves.  You have to really travel light if you fly between regions as the planes are very small and they are strict about luggage restrictions.  At one point, we surrendered our main bags and they were transferred to the next location by bus and we had to pack a large duffel bag supplied to us for the flight and stay of three days....the plane was a six seater...so you don't want anything too big but one lady carried a very large but light stuffed giraffe and a large rag doll through the entire trip.... 

Frequent Contributor

Very helpful. Thank you.  There wouldn't be travel between regions, so no worries about transporting luggage on small planes.  We will be sure to check the CDC to see what might be needed.  Shopping ideas sound great.   Thanks again!

Frequent Contributor

A couple of questions have come up and would appreciate it if those of you who have travelled to South Africa might help.  Did you use American $, credit card or Rand?  Did you purchase travel insurance; if so do you have recommendations?  Everything I've found is extremely expensive.  Last question:  I'm assuming it is too expensive to use a cell phone to call or txt to the US?

Thanks again for your help.

Valued Contributor

Re: South Africa travel

[ Edited ]

I went to Johannesburg in Oct of 2015 to visit my daughter, who lives there. It is a beautiful city, but you do have to be careful, as you would in any large city like New York, Chicago, or Detroit, for example. I used my Wells Fargo Visa card without any trouble, plus I went over with Rand. US Dollars can be exchanged at the airport, and at many shopping malls. You will find that restaurant prices are very reasonable, and the food is delicious. Nothing really strange on the menu, unless you go to a restaurant which caters to the tourists who want to try strange game ("Carnivore" is the name of a chain that does this.)

I purchased a travel insurance policy, which I always do before a trip like this. At my age, health problems can crop up unexpectedly, so I want to be able to recoup the cost of my air travel. I can't remember the name of the company I used.  (It was Allianz Global Assistance)

I'm not sure about cell phone usage, as I didn't call the US when I was there.Your cell phone might not work there without a special card. My daughter has an app called "What's App" that I use to text her from here, plus we use Skype to keep in touch.

You will LOVE Johannesburg!  Try to get to Capetown,too-- it's spectacular!

kathybnc2 wrote:

A couple of questions have come up and would appreciate it if those of you who have travelled to South Africa might help.  Did you use American $, credit card or Rand?  Did you purchase travel insurance; if so do you have recommendations?  Everything I've found is extremely expensive.  Last question:  I'm assuming it is too expensive to use a cell phone to call or txt to the US?

Thanks again for your help.

Esteemed Contributor

w/r/t insurance...you have to really consider how much you are willing to lose.  A trip like this, I would say you absolutely should get it.  I don't know what your tour cancellation policy is, but many times the deposit is nonrefundable and, up to a certain point, the entire cost may become nonrefundable.  Plane tickets are also pricey and carry many restrictions.  Plus, what about if something happens when you are there?  Even something like twisting an ankle - your health insurance, more likely than not, will not cover it.  With an elderly mother, I have to get it.  In fact, I got the more expensive cancel for any reason policy for my last trip because my cat was sick (he passed before my trip).  My gadventure trip required it for all travelers.

You can look at insuremytrip or tripinsurancestore (I used the later for two of my last trips).  Both will let you compare different policies and are rated.

But, it's up to you and what you can afford.  Some people say they never get it.

Frequent Contributor

Thanks, that is very helpful. I will ck. Into the insurance.