Honored Contributor

Anyone ever been?  We planned a girls trip for 7 of us over Labor Day weekend.  We will be leaving here Thursday evening and coming home Tuesday, giving us 4 full days.  We rented a home in Sonoma.

I don't really know all the ins and outs of the area.  I don't really know how far Napa Valley actually is from Sonoma.  I have read articles about the differences in the 2 places and from what I read, Napa is more touristy.  Perhaps we will make a trip to Napa, depending on the location.

The area where the house is located seems like a nice little town.  Within walking distance are shops, bakeries and eateries.  

If anyone has ever been, can you share ins and outs and must sees?  TIA 

Honored Contributor

I live not far from the Wine Country - Sonoma, Napa - and September is a beautiful time to visit.  Our best weather in the Bay Area is September and October.  While I have visited the Wine Country, I don't know it well.  Don't drink wine so thats one reason.  Anyway, I am sure you will have a wonderful time.  Going into Napa for an afternoon or a day would be no problem and I do recommend it.  St. Helena is an especially sweet town.  Calistoga is quaint and fun to walk around.  You'll enjoy yourselves I'm sure.

Honored Contributor

Re: Sonoma in September

[ Edited ]

You'll have a great time, @Lipstickdiva 

I live a couple of counties away but used to visit all the time.

You might like The Girl and the Fig restaurant in downtown Sonoma, right at the edge of the town square, aka Sonoma Plaza.   I've had lovely meals there, especially in its lovely outdoor seating area. There are lots of little shops all around the square, too.  There may even be an art festival or two while you're there.

If you like mini trains, there is Train Town not far from the town square in Sonoma.

Keep going south on Hwy 116 to 25200 Arnold Dr, Sonoma, CA 95476 and you will find a little bit of what you'd swear was Tuscany at Viansa Winery.  It's changed ownership since I was last there so I can't comment on updates, but the hilltop setting is quite wonderful.  There's even a wildlife preserve you can look out over and/or visit depending on your interest and/or timing.

VIANSA WINERY

Image result for viansa winery

If you hop over to Highway 29 (just a brief drive on Hwy 12 from Sonoma to Hwy 29), go north to Napa, then on to Yountville, St. Helena, and all the way up to Calistoga.  All of these towns have lovely shops and restaurants.  Calistoga is home as well to its famous geyser and the entrance to the petrified forest is there as well.

You won't run out of things to do and see and eat and buy!  Obviously, there are lots of wineries, too many to list here.  I don't really drink, but some of them have great tours.

Have a wonderful time.  Wish I were going.

I was thinking you might also want to watch the new Wine Country movie by Amy Poehler.  Even if it's not a great movie, you'll surely see a lot of the scenery and maybe even get some ideas.  I haven't seen it yet so I'm guessing.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Trusted Contributor

Oh, Sonoma is just beautiful!! I went to Sonoma in June, I want to return so badly!! As far as restaurants, we enjoyed The Girl and The Fig, and The Sonoma Grille, as well as The El Dorado. The wineries were amazing my favorites in Sonoma were Kunde just beautiful and their Red Dirt wine was amazing, (don't be turned off by the name)  the view is just stunning and the cheese plate was so good! I also really enjoyed St. Francis and Imagery wineries. Imagery has art on the bottle which was different. Also,  Benziger is a bio-dynamic winery that had a very interesting tour and is affiliated with imagery. Just stop at any winery that draws you in! We also got wine sent home to the East Coast it was very easy rather than carrying on the plane.

Our splurge was going to The farm to table dinner at Kendall Jackson Winery in Napa, it was expensive but the food and wine were superb as well as the view, it was like a wedding. I would splurge again, I enjoyed myself! 

There is so much to see and do, the area is simply breathtaking. We really stuck mostly to Sonoma except for our farm to table dinner. I would go back in a heartbeat! Enjoy!!

"Dogs heal hearts they never broke"
RIP Lexi aka "Momma" 1/15/24
Honored Contributor

Thank you all so much.  I am going to print this off.  Smiley Happy