Valued Contributor

Re: Solo female travel to India: anyone else been like this?

[ Edited ]

I admire your sense of adventure.  There is a group called Women Traveling Together.  I’d feel better going in a large group with guides.  

Honored Contributor

@jasminepednekar wrote:

Everyone cringes when I mention that I want to go to India soon. I am a middle-aged woman who has traveled quite a bit solo, including to developing nations, and a very mid-range traveler in general. I am not sure how seriously to take the cautions -- a lot of stuff about how I could be raped -- I guess that's in the news, but India is vast.

Is this truly a concern? In all of India? Only some parts of India? For someone like me, even? Or is this just classic American fear-mongering?

I know Indian culture pretty well and can speak some rudimentary Hindi. I would brush up before going though.

Thanks if you have been a solo female traveler there and can share your sense of discomfort, if any.

I think you could answer this question better on a travel forum ,  if you know the culture you know the answer to the question 

Honored Contributor

I went to India (Hydrabad, south central India) several years ago. Stayed three weeks.

Loved it, loved the people, loved the food; didn't feel uncomfortable at all.

I went in the month of January, which was still hot (80-90), but not anything like it would have been in June or July.

Didn't have time to go anywhere else, but next time will want to go up north and see the Taj Mahal and other touristy-type stuff.

This particular trip was to meet with people and provide a service.

Was not afraid at all, but have to admit that I travel all over the world and rarely feel uncomfortable doing so. I love adventure, so things don't bother me like it might someone else. 

Respected Contributor

I was going to comment; provide an opinion, and a suggestion or two.  But "classic American fear-mongering" ?!?!?  

This is the poster's first post, so maybe this person is here just to stir the pot and cause trouble.

Whether or not this is a legitimate post, the heck with her/him !

Respected Contributor

So interesting to see "classic American fear mongering" touch a nerve. There are a lot of classic american behaviors, and yes, fear mongering is one of thsm. Especially these days when even children from 3rd world countries are criminalized.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@patbz wrote:

I have travelled worldwide extensively, usually with DH or a friend or two  but there are several places where I have/ use a guide (either for safety or communication) or gone with a group.  We used a guide in Morocco and Vietnam and twice used a group in China (no safety issue, just to expedite getting around in cities that had from 22million people all the way up to ChungKing (33 million).  I would insist on a tour in Egypt or India (haven't been to either place yet).  The only country in which I will never travel to again is Mexico (have been there at least 20 times);  about five years ago the Cartel kidnapped a busload of Mexicans and then used them to train attack dogs and later buried the remains in a common grave.  There are too many countries to take unnecessary risks!

@patbz Wow that is truly terrifying!

Honored Contributor

@bathina The term didn't touch a nerve for me. I found it odd. And I notice the OP has not returned to comment on it.

Frequent Contributor

More than thirty years shot I had a friend who spent a month or so why couple of years there.  She loved it so much she would save up vacation days.  I would think it would be even easier to yearly there now.  Just use the same precautions you would use traveling alone anywhere - even hdter.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I did not read all the posting BUT there are many LADY travel groups.  Let me find the name of a few I know.

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Super Contributor

There are travel sites for female travelers, not solo, but much safer. My husband worked with a colleage that was very happy and did multiple trips with  Gutsy Women Travel. The women are traveling without a companion so it is a group of individual solo travelers (mostly). Sorry cannot post a link for you but a quick search will bring it up.