Respected Contributor

Re: Social Distancing on Airplanes

[ Edited ]

They DO have plans and procedures in place for social distancing. Just visit any one of their websites and they're laid out quite clearly. The email from Delta that was posted by another poster is just one example. Have their been instances where it hasn't worked as outlined? Absolutely, just as there have been instances where it hasn't worked in stores, at the beaches, in parks, etc. But it doesn't make for a nice salacious news story to show a 737 with only 20 people on the plane. 

I'm a regular participant in a message forum for frequent flyers. From the experiences being related there, the vast majority of those folks are practially having the aircraft to themselves. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Trusted Contributor

I haven't flown in a couple of years, my choice, not my preferred method of travel and never have I been more glad.

Honored Contributor

From the email updates I've received from United, American, Jet Blue and Southwest, IMO the airlines are doing the best they can to service people who have to or want to fly.  We have a trip to NYC booked for late August.  But unless they remove the face mask requirement, there is no way I'll be flying.  10 minutes with a face mask on is about all I can tolerate.  Wearing one for hours won't happen for me.

Esteemed Contributor

@kaydee50 :  I wonder if they'd allow you to wear a face shield instead?

Respected Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

From the email updates I've received from United, American, Jet Blue and Southwest, IMO the airlines are doing the best they can to service people who have to or want to fly.  We have a trip to NYC booked for late August.  But unless they remove the face mask requirement, there is no way I'll be flying.  10 minutes with a face mask on is about all I can tolerate.  Wearing one for hours won't happen for me.

I believe that they all have exemptions for people who are medically unable to wear a mask. Perhaps you could contact the carrier that you're booked on and find out what options are available to you. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Trusted Contributor

I dont know about the American Airliners, but in fact I am very well famigliar for the European ones

1) *Some European carriers are not required for their passenger to wear masks

2) *Lufthansa only has forced the passengers to wear masks and middle seat no longer  be necessary to be vacant

3) Air France is requiring its passengers to wear masks at all times

4) KLM is also asking its passengers to wear masks while on board.

5) British Airways  has not required to wear masks to its passengers, only the cabin crew.

Social distancing in the European airliners is non excistent. That means that passengers are packed like sardines with no masks on some of the airliners.

As you can see in the photographe, masks are not mandatory and middle seat is there for someone to seat in BA

28794418-8354463-image-a-30_1590406072332.jpg

The Supreme Happiness Of Life Consists In The Conviction That One Is Loved.
I come from the beautiful and sunny Athens Greece
Respected Contributor

And then the problem of re-circulating air and touching anything.

Valued Contributor

What is the frequent forum website?Thanks

Respected Contributor

I saw on the news a while ago about a United Airlines plane flying from NYC to California, I think San Francisco.  On it were many medical people (doctors and nurses) who were there to help NYC with the covid 19 crisis.  There were also "regular" people on the plane as well.  A doctor took a picture of himself and posted on social media about his concerns about flying and not only being so close to one another, but "regular" people being on the plane with all the medical personel.  I think he said he thought the airlines were going to space seating and limit the number of passengers on the plane and that this was clearly not the case.  So much so he said he won't be flying again anytime soon.  I think some airlines said they would take precautions but at the end of the day are not.  

Honored Contributor

I have already informed my family who are spread out all across the USofA that I will not be seeing them in person until there is a vaccine.  Until then, no planes for me!

I am still in the middle of researching Amtrak regarding their social distancing & masks on cross country train travel.  Very sketchy to say the least.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif