Honored Contributor

Re: Small gift for the flight crew?

@Calgal2too wrote:

Boy, these responses are all over the place!   LOL

I will absolutely be the model passenger; I always am.  I think the only time i've ever asked for something, was when I was taking a one-time medication that gave me dry mouth, and I asked for some water.

I know that they can't accept cash, I would never offer that, and I know that space is limited.   If I brought something, it would be a packaged consumable, and not something they likely have access to in the course of their jobs.  I was thinking maybe those individually-packaged chocolate-covered pretzel rods or something similar.

One thing I need to keep in mind, is that I have two flights to reach my final destination, so do I bring something for both crews, or only one?  And getting stuff thru security is such a chore....    maybe i can find something at a store in the gate area that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.  Will give this some more thought.

Thanks to all who replied!  I appreciate it!

@Calgal2too So do you think that all passengers should bring gifts?  If so, what are the flight crews supposed to do with them?  Or eat things they may not want? Throw it away?  Don't you think that could become a problem for them?

So wouldn't it be better to let them do their job, thank them and let that be it?  To me it seems a really odd thing to do to tip or gift a flight attendant and not a good precedent to set.  

Respected Contributor

My son used to fly a lot pre-pandemic.  He always brought a few bags of individually wrapped candies and gave them to the attendants. 

Honored Contributor

I wonder if they'd like small bags of peanuts or pretzels.

Esteemed Contributor

I would never eat any kind of candy given by someone I didn't know. Wouldn't be surprised if it's thrown in the garbage.
Honored Contributor

I would think any food gifts given would be thrown out.  It's too easy to contaminate them.

Occasional Contributor

HI

I am lucky to go to Italy twice a year to visit family and friends and I usually go to a store by me called Nothing Bundt Cakes.  I bring them a box of mini bundt cakes.  I appreciate all that they do and I know they apprciate the jesture.  

Honored Contributor

In all the years I've flown on an airplane during the last 54 yrs, I have never heard of "gifting" the flight crew.  Never seen them getting any "goddie" bags either.  Well, not that I have noticed.

I was so curious I called 2 relatives who are pilots.  One is retired & the other still flies for a major airline. I asked them if they ever received "gifts."  Both answered the same.....a flat out no.  Then I asked, if they were given "food" would they accept.  Both stated the same.....they would accept & the food would be trashed. Smiley LOL

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Regular Contributor

I was on a flight and witnessed a passenger giving a box of special pastries to the senior flight attendant. And witnessed the cabin crew stopping by the passenger's seat to thank him. It seems he was a regular on that particular flight and knew they would enjoy the items. I flew to Hong Kong early January 2020 and gave a gift bag of individually wrapped chocolate candies to the cabin crew helping me and asked that the candy be shared with crew. A few stopped by my seat to thank me. On another trip I was getting ready to board a flight from Hawaii to LAX. I had been gifted a lei of fresh plumeria which was too cumbersome for me. I overheard one of flight crew looking for a fresh lei so I offered him the one I had around me neck; I explained I was reluctant to drop it in trash as it was beautiful. He gladly accepted the lei. After boarding, the Senior flight attendant came to thank me saying the pilot appreciated the fresh flower lei that he planned to give to his wife. I was thrilled someone would be able to enjoy it. 

Trusted Contributor

I've found flight attendants appreciate current magazines. I always pass on the magazines I read on flights to them...don't leave them in the pocket in front of you, hand them directly to the flight attendant. On long flights, they often have down time and read magazines.
I think it's lovely to want to gift something to a flight crew; they have been through the ringer in the past two years and thoughtfulness is something anyone can appreciate. If they throw out something you bring them, or regift it, it doesn't matter. The fact that you thought of them is what matters.
Being kind is NEVER "inappropriate." It is the hallmark of a gracious, grateful person.
Super Contributor

Forgot to mention.  Taking a shower, not wearing pajamas and house shoes  would probably be appreciated.  Seen it all and smelled it all.  I got an upgrade to first class because I wore nice business like clothes.  The flight attendant even commented on my clothes and how rare that is these days.