Regular Contributor

Re: Small gift for the flight crew?

My BIL showed up with a handful of $5 gift cards to Starbucks and asked the crew taking care of him to please distribute them to the rest. They were thrilled and very appreciative. You can find a Starbucks in almost every airport, so it's something they'll use.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

My sister was a Flight Attendant for many years and insisted that we always bring candy for the Flight Crew! 

Funny story... I was flying International and was pulled out of line and had my bags searched. They asked why I was carrying so much candy!

I explained that I hand it out to Flight Crews and asked if they would like some. They laughed and sent me on my way!Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Someone brought up a good point.  The flight crew is at work, and today they have to be very vigilant when people are boarding and getting off.  

So the very best gift to them and the other passengers is do it as quietly and quickly as you can.  

Trusted Contributor

That's a nice thought but it isn't appropriate. It's like bringing a gift to someone you don't know who works at Macy's.  FA's are working, they have no place at all to store gifts from passengers.   I hate to say this but they have no way to knowif an edible gift may be tainted or not.

Just do what they ask of you, behave, be polite.  That's the best gift you can give them..

Respected Contributor

I do it all the time.  It's usually a bag of individually wrapped candy, like hershey's kisses or something like that.  

Super Contributor

Boy, these responses are all over the place!   LOL

I will absolutely be the model passenger; I always am.  I think the only time i've ever asked for something, was when I was taking a one-time medication that gave me dry mouth, and I asked for some water.

I know that they can't accept cash, I would never offer that, and I know that space is limited.   If I brought something, it would be a packaged consumable, and not something they likely have access to in the course of their jobs.  I was thinking maybe those individually-packaged chocolate-covered pretzel rods or something similar.

One thing I need to keep in mind, is that I have two flights to reach my final destination, so do I bring something for both crews, or only one?  And getting stuff thru security is such a chore....    maybe i can find something at a store in the gate area that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.  Will give this some more thought.

Thanks to all who replied!  I appreciate it!

Esteemed Contributor

@Calgal2too wrote:

Flight crews have had to put up with so much in the last several months.  Have any of you given the flight crew a little gift when boarding?  A sweet snack perhaps?

I am flying next month and am thinking a little something would help brighten their day. 

@Calgal2too- Some airlines allow gratituties.  There are articles available via the internet of which items are permitted.

Occasional Visitor

From a pilot's wife...

Gift cards from Starbucks. 

Super Contributor

@Calgal2too wrote:

Flight crews have had to put up with so much in the last several months.  Have any of you given the flight crew a little gift when boarding?  A sweet snack perhaps?

I am flying next month and am thinking a little something would help brighten their day. 

I think with all they have to put with a nice 'Hello' and 'How are you" will mean more to them than anything else.  May be a 'thank you for being here'.  I don't understand why punishment for attacking the flight crew or other passengers is not punished harder.  It should be a felony and jail time.

Valued Contributor

I always say thank you as I am both boarding and then unboarding the plane. I say it to every worker that I encounter. As we unboard the plane, there is always a flight attendent saying thank you to the passengers. I notice few even respond with a thank you back to the crew. A sentence I am trying to say more often now is "Thank you, I appreciate your help" when someone is especially helpful to me. Many people are so grumpy the last few years and we no longer make eye contact in our masks. So I am trying to do the opposite. I think you have a good heart to want to do something nice for other people who work a difficult job.