Super Contributor

I live in the AZ desert, so winter clothes to me consist of wearing the occasional sweater. I am going to NYC for a few days at the end of January. I bought a warm coat, but am thinking I will need something besides my Danskos to walk around the city!!

I hate to spend a lot of money because I'll only be there 4 days, but on the other hand, I don't want to fall on my behind! 

I have some low cut hiking boots that are waterproof and have good tread, but not so cute. They work in Seattle, but not sure re NYC. 

Ideas?

Honored Contributor

Re: Shoes for NYC in January

It all depends on the weather NY in January we could have 24 inches of snow or 50 degrees, best to watch the weather. A good pair of rubber boots like Hunter boots might be a good idea, in Manhattan the snow is cleared quickly but the slush remains

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

HSN has a line of Sporto boots that are perfect for any weather (there is water resistant and water proof) and very reasonably priced. 

Macy's has black friday specials already on their website, and there are some cold weather boots that are really inexpensive.  

I live in the midwest, and most days in the winter, water resistant boots are fine (QVC has several water resistant sude faux fur boots for under $50.  the LMAO one is only $31).  Only when there is a huge snow storm, that is when I get my tall water proof snow boots.   So, I think you'll be fine without investing in a pair of snow boots.

Valued Contributor

You may be fine with an ankle boot in January, but likely not.  I'd take a taller boot - like the Hunter mentioned.  Hunters are perfect in rain or snow.  They last forever, too.

Esteemed Contributor

a good pair of boots and socks to keep your feet warm.  maybe some thermals.  your hiking boots would be fine for walking around the city.

Super Contributor

Thanks for all the suggestions! 

Respected Contributor

If there is snow you will need waterproof boots. The snow is cleared almost immediately, but slush remains and it is hard avoiding it when crossing the street.  I wear plain leather boots all winter and I am fine. Since you are not used to the cold wear socks if you are planning on doing a lot of walking.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Welcome to NYC! I hope you enjoy your trip.

By the end of January it usually gets wickedly cold here. I suggest you get some thermals that you can wear underneath your clothes and bring enough clothes to layer. Having a warm winter coat is almost useless without having layers on. 

The weather here changes quickly. The only time I need waterproof shoes is if it snows or rains all day. I wouldn't invest in anything expensive for 4 days. I would bring along the hiking boots you already have. If it's snowing no one will look at your shoes and they'll be covered with slush. 

In the event that you need something more wintry, you can always go to any Marshalls, TJ Maxx or Burlington in the city and just pick something up at a good price. I would save my money and get thermals if you don't have anything else to layer. You can also use tights, yoga pants or tight fitting camisoles or sleep wear. 

~Live with Intention~
Honored Contributor

Keep in mind that there is a chance it could be very cold.  I stood outside for almost an hour in the low teens several years ago waiting to get into The View (which we were turned away even though we had tickets since they were overbooked).  However my feet were so cold they took a good half an hour to warm up once we got indoors and it was very painful!  Make sure to have warm socks!

Even if you take a cab around a lot the pavement is uneven and as another poster mentioned it could be slushy and generally dirty .  Have a good pair of walking waterproof boots with good traction.

Respected Contributor

I would make sure I had comfortable, warm, waterproof footwear.