Respected Contributor

Another Mary Stewart, Victoria Holt, Phyllis Whitney fan. Mary Stewart was my favorite of the 3. It's about time for me to re-read a few along with Elizabeth Goudge.

Respected Contributor

Plockton is a very pretty town on a harbor. The Orkney Island are beautiful in a very simple way. Beware, the ferry crossing can be very rough.

Dress in layers...do not assume it will be sunny and warm. And if it is the midgies will be biting. Take sweater and windbreakers and good hiking shoes if that is your intention.

There is a lovely place on a loch called 'rest and be thankful' we picniced  there and a piper was playing. Google it.

Honored Contributor

Apologies to everyone else on this thread about beautiful Scotland (where I will be going this summer!), but I must tell @chprsp and @Oznell that I have the following:

Mary Stewart - 20

Dorothy Eden - 12

Daphne du Maurier - 14

Victoria Holt - 33

Holt, writing as Philippi Carr - 7

Phyllis Whitney - 38

If either of you want to discuss this further, don't hesitate to notify me over on the book forum. Otherwise, so glad to know there are others who appreciate these ladies and their writing. I really do miss them! Heart

Trusted Contributor

How fabulous. You will love Scotland. I was there for five days last November  I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. We took the train up from London because we wanted to see the countryside. We stayed at the Apex Hotel which was nice and right across the street from Rabbies Tours, which we used for day tours. They can be booked on line ahead of time. Rabbies tours were really good, reasonable prices, a big variety of choices, and they have a very good coffee shop where you can get breakfast before the tours if your hotel doesn't have it. We took a city tour, a tour to the Highlands with a whiskey tour and tasting, and a tour to St. Andrews and the fishing villages of Fyfe. We also left ourselves a couple of days to go to places right in Edinburgh and some shopping. In addition to the museums, I also did a tour of The Real Mary King's Close. This was a tour of the tiny narrow alleyways and covered a lot about living conditions hundreds of years ago. It was really fascinating. 

We ate a couple of times at a gastro pub called Whiski. It was very good as was the restaurant next to the Apex on Waterloo Place. I think that was called Howies. Both of those places were better than the fancy, expensive place we went to next to the castle. All the other little restaurants were good, too. 

I hope you enjoy Scotland as much as we did. 

Rabbies also has tours out of Glasgow.