Frequent Contributor

My husband and I are going to be in Scotland for 2 weeks at the end of August/first of September--flying in/out of Edinburgh.

We know we want to visit the Loch Lohmand area and the Isle of Skye.  On the Isle of Skye we are thinking about an Air BNB stay for about 3 or 4 days but are looking for inns or bed/breakfast locations in other areas of the country.

We are very outdoorsy, like to hike, wander the countryside and warm up with whiskey tasting.  

Any thoughts/recommendations?  I have been to Galway and Edinburgh for work and thought we would spend most of our time away from the cities but am open to any suggestions.

Thank you in advance.  

Honored Contributor

I am so envious!  Never got up to Scotland.  A wonderful mystery to read before you go:

Mary Stewart"s  "Wildfire at Midnight"     It is set at a hotel on the isle of Skye!   An exhausted Londoner goes there to regroup, fly fish in the famous waters, and gets far more than she bargains for...   Great fun and lots of local color!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Scotland Bound!

[ Edited ]

My husband and I went to Scotland years ago. It is ruggedly beautiful and filled with history. Edinburgh is a lovely city but my best memories come from the Highlands. I recall a colleague telling me to see Loch Marie. We found it and it was well worth the trip. It was like a heavenly apparition. Inverewe Gardens was also beautiful but if you really want to go up north, visit the Orkney islands. There'e an ancient stone village that was amazing. It's called Skara Brae. Have a great trip!

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you have not settled on a place to stay in Edinburgh  look into Tigerlily.  How can you NOT like a hotel with this name? lol It is a lovely hotel with easy access to everything without being overrun by tourists. We LOVED this city.  Enjoy!

Trusted Contributor

JEALOUS...JEALOUS...JEALOUS.....Take me, I have no plans, I'd love to go. ha ha...

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Frequent Contributor

I was on a tour of the British Isles 9 years ago in October. Scotland is a hidden gem. I have scottish ancestry. We headed for the Isle in the Sky which was really talked up but unfortunately when we were almost there the bridge was closed because of heavy rain and wind. I loved the highlands, beautiful country. We almost made it to the Isle. Edinborough was very interesting . 

Respected Contributor

Oh how I envy you. I would love another trip to Scotland. I especially enjoyed the Orkney Islands and Skye. On Skye I found a lovely jewelry shop called Love From Skye.

Honored Contributor

@grzbela

My husband is a history buff and a golfer.  We had a picnic lunch on Hadrian's Wall and he played a round of golf at St. Andrews.

I shopped, my major purchase was a Harris Tweed Inverness cape.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell wrote:

I am so envious!  Never got up to Scotland.  A wonderful mystery to read before you go:

Mary Stewart"s  "Wildfire at Midnight"     It is set at a hotel on the isle of Skye!   An exhausted Londoner goes there to regroup, fly fish in the famous waters, and gets far more than she bargains for...   Great fun and lots of local color!

@Oznell Oh, my, another Mary Stewart fan? I have most, if not all, of her books. They are quite old, but I love to dig them out every once in a while and revisit. Her writing can take me away from what I am doing and thoroughly entrench me into her storytelling.

Thanks for bringing that memory back to me; and......guess I will dig them out again! Heart

Do you also like Victoria Holt and Phylis Whitney? The three of them have similar styles and kept me waiting for each new books they wrote. 

Honored Contributor

World Traveler, I have dipped into the other two, and while good, Mary Stewart remains my all-time favorite.  I love her easy cosmopolitanism, the subtle humor, the literary allusions in her work, don't you?  I guess my favorites of her books are "My Brother Michael", the one set in Delphi, Greece.  And also "Madame, Will You Talk" set in the south of France.  I like Charity Selborne, her protagonist, the widow of a race car driver.

She is so likeable, with her fierce determination to protect the little boy threatened by evil who crosses her path...

How great that you like Stewart too!  I do exactly as you do-- periodically dig them out to have a fun and well-written escape to another world!