Contributor

Hi all!  Looking for any and all ideas, suggestions and help!! Never been to Sanibel before but toying with the idea of going in Sept or Oct.  Also has anyone ever stayed at the Island Inn?  Thanks ladies for any and all help you can share!!! 😄

Super Contributor

I have been to Sanibel a fe times. Stayed at Sanibel Resort and Spa. Right at end of island. Beautiful resort, good food, gorgeous rooms. Very laid bac, informal. Some shopping in area, and lovely small restaurants it is a definite yes for a relaxing vacation.

Honored Contributor

I was not crazy about Sanibel, too expensive and there is a toll every time you want to go to the rest of the state.

We much refered Siesta Key or Treasure Island Beach

@Barb114 wrote:

I have been to Sanibel a fe times. Stayed at Sanibel Resort and Spa. Right at end of island. Beautiful resort, good food, gorgeous rooms. Very laid bac, informal. Some shopping in area, and lovely small restaurants it is a definite yes for a relaxing vacation.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Contributor

Thank you!!!! 😄

Respected Contributor

I've heard that Sanibel is lovely but pricey as well.

Keep in mind that Sept./Oct. in many parts of the coastal South is hurricane time. You might want to check on policy regarding severe weather. You dont want to be on an island and have to evacuate.

Honored Contributor

Re: Sanibel Island

[ Edited ]

We've been to Sanibel twice, once in spring, once in fall. Both times the Red Tide was in and we could not swim and the beach stunk to high heaven.

My husband encountered a gator or two on the golf course.

Never considered returning.

Respected Contributor

really prefer Captiva right next door.  less touristy.

Honored Contributor

Before we moved to Florida we went to Sanibel on vacation a few times. We always stayed at a Sheraton that was just before you go over the toll bridge out to the island, because we actually spent more time off the island than on it. Be sure to rent a boat and take out a bucket of bait shrimp - throw them in the water and the dolphins will follow you & put on quite a show for you.

Now we live close enough to Sanibel to drive down there as a day trip but , oddly, we rarely do. 

Respected Contributor
Was there once, early fall. It's a nice restful place not too commercial. At least the way it was when I was there. We stayed in a condo but don't remember the name. Most of the balconies/lanies are screened because the mosquitoes are very bad. If I was to go again I would like to go to Captiva on tip of island and stay in the large resort there. The island is full of sea shells if interested in that type thing.
Esteemed Contributor

@Kindaglitzy wrote:
Was there once, early fall. It's a nice restful place not too commercial. At least the way it was when I was there. We stayed in a condo but don't remember the name. Most of the balconies/lanies are screened because the mosquitoes are very bad. If I was to go again I would like to go to Captiva on tip of island and stay in the large resort there. The island is full of sea shells if interested in that type thing.

@  @Kindaglitzy,

I was going to mention that same thing: the fortune of sea shell hunting...a very popular area for vacations.

I know little of  Florida but we have traveled there many times for Disney World when our little son always wanted to be there through the summer months.

Not exactly where I would like to live, but know a lot of retired aging folks end up there.

Speaking of mosquitoes, I thought Cape Hatteras was the worse. Florida may be find for many...just not for me. Vacations, okay- if for children's adventures of a FUN place.

I am sure there are many beautiful areas throughout, but air conditioning would be #1 priority..."IF" I were .. for any reason, be living there. 

Have a great time on your vacation...where ever~

NAES