Super Contributor

Re: Sandals Resorts or Anniversary Get Aways

@riley1  We love Aruba and have considered going back there.  You are correct that the weather is mostly always perfect.  That was the first place my husband mentioned.  We went over ten years ago and stayed at The Bucuti Beach Resort which was wonderful.  

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am from Jamaica and if I am going for my 25th anniversary I wouldnt stay at Breezes as its also for families. I have nothing against kids but I dont want to be around them for 1-2 weeks.

I have been to St. Lucia and it was wonderful. Its been over 20 years and I can still taste the food. I have never stayed at Sandals (couples only resort) however, I would suggest googling the pictures. There are Sandals hotels that are on the beach. I texted my friend so I will let you know which Sandals hotels are not on the beach.

My husband and I went back for an anniversary trip. The hotel we stayed at was not facing the beach so we had to cross the road which was not a problem as they have crossing guards but what we loved was it was so peaceful. We stayed in cabins that had porches surrounded by so much trees and flowers. It was romantic for us. The commercials by Sandals are suppose to make you want to visit but its what you do that will make it romantic and great for you.

Super Contributor

@sue311  Thanks so much.  You are correct, we do not want to stay in a place with children.  We love children but the idea is to celebrate our anniversary and to be just the two of us.  Right now we are looking into St. Lucia or Grand Cayman.  St. Lucia is three hours farther for us from Pittsburgh.  

Honored Contributor

Grand Cayman is gorgeous!!!!!!Love it there, but very pricey.....Hubby and I were there a long time ago, but we have friends that moved there several years ago, so will probably do a trip there in the future!!!!!

Trusted Contributor

We went to Sandals Negril for a trip and loved it.  They were very helpful and accommodating.  For our Honeymoon we found an all inclusive package in Saint Thomas (hotel was not part of the big All Inclusive chains).  Any brochure and picture are meant to entice you but the trip is really what you make of it. 

I realize that Jamaica is not for everyone.  Many people don't like it there so I wouldn't base a recommendation on the country itself but the experience at the hotel.  Personally we are not cruise people but we love All Inclusive resort where we don't have to be on someone else's tour schedule.

Super Contributor

Re: Sandals Resorts or Anniversary Get Aways: Update on Location Selected

Thanks to everyone for your advice.  After doing additional research we decided to go to Bucuti and Tara Beach Resort in Aruba.  We were there in 2004 when it was called Bucuti Beach Resort and it was amazing.  My husband and I were both talking about how amazing it was and it would be great to go back since they've expanded.   It is for specifically couples/adults which will be perfect.  It is also privately owned and the owner is right on site.  The reviews for Bucuti and Tara are excellent on Trip Advisor.  We cannot wait to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Mumof2- So glad you came back and told us where you chose to go. I love the islands, however, I always go back to Aruba. Been there many times - it never gets old. 

Honored Contributor

I keep seeing ads for Sandals Resorts, but haven't tired it. Maybe I should put that down as something to do soon.

Super Contributor

Hi, I am looking to go away in February and have been looking at sandals in Jamaica, they all look great.  I am checking out trip advisor, all are 4 or more stars.  There are a few locations , never been so any advice would be great 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GinzTonic:  Today USA Today had an article about how dangerous some resorts in Jamaica are, and yes, Sandals was mentioned in connection  with several gang rapes(by staff) and also mentioned that Trip Advisor doesn't always report these.  Jamaica was never on my list (and Aruba never again), but thought it was an interesting article.