Respected Contributor

San Miguel de Allende Mexico

I'm thinking of going here for a few days in July.  I'm looking for suggestions on where to stay.  What area has the most to do, and what hotels are withing walking distance from shops, art galleries, and restaurants.  I'm also looking for an outdoor pool at the hotel.  Thanks in advance for any advice about the area.

Super Contributor

Re: San Miguel de Allende Mexico

My husband and I visited here twice several years ago when there were no concerns about visiting Mexico.  It was a lovely city.  We also explored areas outside the city.  Many Americans and Europeans settled to expand the arts.  I have a photo book of door knockers, doors and balconies -very pretty.  We stayed at Casa Liza and then rented private houses with friends.  We walked everywhere and where we could not walk it was STRONGLY advised to hire a driver that was approved by the hotel.  No hailing cabs on the streets.  We flew into Leon.  I would also suggest you research the state department travel warnings for US travelers to certain areas of colonial Mexico.  I am so happy we traveled there many times, especially Mexico City, when the crime was less. There are many beautiful charming and cultural areas in Mexico. A good source of current information is Trip Advisor.  They will likely have a travel forum on San Miguel with up to date comments and ratings. 

Respected Contributor

Re: San Miguel de Allende Mexico

A few years ago we spent a few days at Hotel Belmond de Sierra Nevada.  The hotel suites and grounds were breathtaking. We had our own (small) pool.  Truthfully I never wanted to leave the hotel.  We hired a private guide through the hotel for day tour.  We toured churches, historic buildings, a museum, etc.