Honored Contributor

Has anyone visited SLO?  Or lives there?  Looking for recommendations on hotels, restaurants, things to do.  How is the weather in January/February??  TIA!!!

Respected Contributor

There's the Madonna Inn. It's very kitschy and great if you want to take photographs.

January/February may be one of the few times of the year with rain, but otherwise the days are fair to cool. Breezier and cooler the closer you get to the ocean.

Contributor

Hearst Castle is nearby.  Wine tasting tours.  Walking food tours

Super Contributor

When we lived in California we loved going to the Madonna Inn to eat. Been there many times. You need to check out their bathroom downstairs from the restaurant aslo check out the shop they have. We never stayed there, we were either on our way to another place or just out for the day.  Every room is a different theme.

Hearst Castle is a must see tour. I enjoyed that tour

Esteemed Contributor

KRe: San Luis Obispo, CA

[ Edited ]

We keep our trailer at Pismo  Beach ( near SLO) and there are many things to do, places to eat and various options for hotels ( all kinds, all prices). Madonna Inn is interesting and its good for a one night stay ( I did that years ago).  What was fun was to peek into all the rooms as they were being cleaned.  The food is ok but not great.  There are many amazing steak restaurants in the area including Hitching Post ( setting for movie Sideways) and there is a great wine trail ( imo better than Napa or Sonoma) and Santa Barbara county probably has a wine map on their website.  If you haven't travelled out of USA you'll love Hearst Castle but one tour is enough. If you can take the night time tour with re enactors that's the best one. Check Trip Advisor for current best restaurants.

Valued Contributor
I live a bit south along the central coast. Every year is different as far as weather. Jackets needed and there could be rain, also could be beautiful as this year was.
Santa Barbara is a beautiful drive from SLO, about 1.5 hrs. There are many wineries in the area, a beautiful state park on ocean is Montana de Oro, near Morro Bay. Paso Robles is nearby, also Cambria. So there’s a lot to see. Definitely see Hearst Castle! Madonna Inn is very popular, many nice hotels in Pismo & Shell Beach along 101.
Respected Contributor

I lived in Monterey CA for 16 years.  San Luis Obispo was never really on our radar as a place to visit.  We've drove past it plenty of times on our way back and forth to Disneyland.