Respected Contributor

Re: San Francisco trip~~ what should i for sure see and do??

I love everything about San Francisco.  I enjoy the Fishermans Wharf, Pier 39, I am not much  into shopping so I don't do Union Square very often, but if it's your thing, they have fabulous stores. I love The Hard Rock cafe, I always go there for a drink or two, or three...Dinner is always at the Cliff House, beautiful!!

Enjoy your trip!Image result for cliff house san francisco

Super Contributor

Dress warm. It's in 60's in SF. Shoe covers? What is this implying? 

Esteemed Contributor

@bonappetit wrote:

Dress warm. It's in 60's in SF. Shoe covers? What is this implying? 

Word on the street - no pun intended - is that there is a situation of people relieving themselves on city streets.

Respected Contributor

If you do go to Napa go on the Wine Train.  It's a 2 hr tour of Napa plus a lovely lunch.

You might want to try again for Alcatraz.  We did and were able to get in the same day we called for a reservation.

Enjoy - it's a wonderful city.

Esteemed Contributor

My first trip to SF was in 1981 and it was absolutely awesome - my ex and I loved everthing about that wonderful city. We went back in 2001 and it had totally changed and we vowed to never go back, and I never have. The best thing about that last trip was visiting the Muir Woods - and that would be my recommendation to see. The history of Mr. Muir and what he accomplished is so interesting, and the beauty of the woods are well worth seeing. Hope your trip goes well.

Respected Contributor

Go see a SF Giants ball game, they are playing the Milwaukee Brewers, be sure to get the crab sandwich, $18 but sooo good. Chinatown used to be fun, haven't been there for years. City Lghts bookstore in North Beach was the Beat poets hangout (Ginsberg and Ferlingetti).

Super Contributor

Muir Woods: need parking & shuttle reservations. No longer can you just show up.

Respected Contributor

@Nancy Drew wrote:

Bring shoe covers!

For sure!  I understand the sidewalks in San Fran might be covered in more than cement.

Honored Contributor

Oh for heavens sake people and I mean those telling the OP to bring shoe covers!  I work in downtown SF right near the Embarcadero.  Yes, we have homeless but for heavens sake there are not "streets littered with needles everywhere" nor is there any kind of human excrement or urine on the streets.  Please if you have never been to an area don't say things like this that you have absolutely no first-hand knowledge of.  Yes you need to be aware of your surroundings and take appropriate precautions with your handbag/backpack but thats no different than any other city.

Our streets are no more dirty than any other large city and I've traveled to a few.  Gee, what a concept - we actually have water here and street cleaners!

Does San Francisco have its share of problems, yes, of couse.  Enjoy your visit and you don't need shoe covers!

Respected Contributor

@JudyL wrote:

Oh for heavens sake people and I mean those telling the OP to bring shoe covers!  I work in downtown SF right near the Embarcadero.  Yes, we have homeless but for heavens sake there are not "streets littered with needles everywhere" nor is there any kind of human excrement or urine on the streets.  Please if you have never been to an area don't say things like this that you have absolutely no first-hand knowledge of.  Yes you need to be aware of your surroundings and take appropriate precautions with your handbag/backpack but thats no different than any other city.

Our streets are no more dirty than any other large city and I've traveled to a few.  Gee, what a concept - we actually have water here and street cleaners!

Does San Francisco have its share of problems, yes, of couse.  Enjoy your visit and you don't need shoe covers!

Your new mayor even commented on the amount of human feces on the sidewalks of the city.    (Guess she must have been making it up.)   Smiley Surprised