Valued Contributor

San Diego things to do & places to eat??

Going to San Diego in a few weeks for a destination wedding/vacation (live on East Coast). Will have 3/4 days free as a couple & probably another 3/4 days free, but with boyfriend's family members included. Other days will be wedding etc./travel.

I know there are a million places to find info online-just expanding my search if anyone is a local or has a hidden gem to go to or place to eat besides the top tourist destinations. Will be renting a car, so have travel options! Hotels & flights booked (plus wedding) but that's it so far!

Appreciate any & all suggestions. Boyfriend & I are adventurous eaters so not limited on food options/restrictions & I love seafood & he likes italian. Thanks!
Honored Contributor

Re: San Diego things to do & places to eat??

[ Edited ]

plan to eat and walk around the gaslamp quarter. lots of great places to eat inside or to eat outside and people watch. sadaf or bandar for persian food......and sometimes there will be a belly dancer depending on when you go.

i also love the old town mexican cafe. the ladies make the tortillas fresh and you can watch them in the window. always get some to take home.

phils bbq is excellent.

make sure to get to the zoo, balboa park, the uss midway, and seaport village is a nice place to walk and shop.

i enjoy going across the border into tijuana to sightsee and shop, but i know not everyone is comfortable doing that. you will need your passport or passport card.

go to catalina island if you get the chance. the la jolla area is also beautiful.

carlsbad for a beautiful beach and outlet shopping if you feel like it.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Super Contributor

I agree with those suggestions.  Depending where you are staying, so as not to spend too much time in the road, I would add:

Hotel Del Coronado.  It is historic and beautiful.  Whilst there you can stroll the beach, the shops and eateries ion Orange Ave.  or stroll past the golf course and wonderful homes on Glorietta Blvd.  Coronado is truly a jewel.

The Safari Park, the expansive sister of the San Diego Zoo.  Plan several hours to experience this amazing breeding facility that shares animals for us to appreciate.  You will see Rhinos, giraffes, Cape Buffalo, etc. living together in large multi species exhibits. Also, kangaroos, gorillas, lions, bats, California Condors, Cassowaries, etc.  Whilst there, enjoy lunch at The Watering Hole.  (To get a sneak peak, check out the Animal Planet series “The Zoo, San Diego”.  Episodes get repeated after the initial Saturday night showing).

also, there is a tourist trolley that takes you around the city, pointing out highlights.  The driver narrates All the way.  You can get in and off at several locations.  Maybe start with that for a great overview!

im glad that you have several days....there is so much!!  Have a wonderful time!

Contributor

Little Italy on India St downtown San Diego all good Italian foods,drive across Coronado bridge to see Hotel Del Coronado,drive up Coast hwy through Torrey Pines and multiple little beach towns ,best fish &chips at Harbor Fish & Chips at Oceanside Harbor,  could get to LA in a few hours if Hollywood is of interest, mountains just a few hours away,Julian a small old mining town and you will be there at apple time so Julian Pie Company for a sweet treat,you'll pass San Diego Zoo Safari Park on the way, maybe I-15 to Palm Springs and the desert ,nice time of year weather wise, beautiful homes,old Hollywood playground ,aerial tram ride,back to San Diego on I-15 will pass Marine Corp Station Miramar,former Fightertown,USA and backdrop for movie "Top Gun"...think I see Maverick riding his motocycle "Halfway to the Danger Zone", totally have to have In&Out Burger but every evening just look West at the mosy beautiful sunsets and hope you have a wonderful trip and make memories that last a lifetime.

Trusted Contributor

You have to go to Coronado !!!! The hotel and shops are wonderful !! Also if you walk to the end of the island ( it's not that far) you can take a boat ride acroos to seaport village.  If you like going to museums they have great ones Balboa park has like 17, close to the zoo.

Trusted Contributor

f you like pasta.......a small great place we found for "pasta in a sub" is called Torpasta. It is like a big bread roll that is cut out,  and they put your favorite pasta inside and serve it in a holder. Google it...it's like a carb pasta lovers dream. They have other items also, it is so good and often busy.

Respected Contributor

visit the ZOO and Old Town San Diego. it's quaint and a fun time.

Valued Contributor

In the Gaslamp district we liked Meze Greek Fusion.  There was also a Persian restaurant on another trip but I don't remember the name.  I have family in the area so get there almost every year.  Enjoyed the Safari Park and touring the USS Midway.  Agree with those who say to go to Coronado and the beautiful old hotel there. You can also drive about an hour north to an area of wineries, lovely brunch at Wilson Creek Winery.

Frequent Contributor

We go there twice a year. My favorite areas are Coronado Island and its military side North Island. Favorite restaurants: McPs (owned by a former Navy Seal) which is casual. And Brigatine (Seafood) both on Coronado Island. Baja Rock Lobster is amazing (Seafood/Mexican) in the GasLamp. Coronado Island is great place to sightsee. Silverstrand Beach. Childrens Cove to see the wild sea lions.If anyone in your group is retired military go see North Island and the carrier thats in port. Watch F18s do touch and goes. Last October we watched them filming Top Gun on base ! Also i love the San Diego Zoo and the Wildlife Zoo. Take a tour on the Midway. Do a harbour cruise.

Honored Contributor

@Wobin wrote:

In the Gaslamp district we liked Meze Greek Fusion.  There was also a Persian restaurant on another trip but I don't remember the name.  I have family in the area so get there almost every year.  Enjoyed the Safari Park and touring the USS Midway.  Agree with those who say to go to Coronado and the beautiful old hotel there. You can also drive about an hour north to an area of wineries, lovely brunch at Wilson Creek Winery.

@Wobin 

it was probably BANDAR or SADAF.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein