Honored Contributor

The only airline I know of that doesn't charge for checking luggage is Southwest.  Southwest also allows a larger size carry-on than any other airline and they don't charge for carry-ons either. 

I am flying United in April and I just did Basic Economy. That means if I wanted to pick our seats, I'd have to pay more money and we cannot bring a carry-on.  We can each bring a bag that fits under the seat though. 

I'm not paying extra for our seats so there is a chance DH and I won't sit together.  We will also each be charged $30.00 for our checked luggage.  It's no picnic to travel on any airline anymore IMO unless you are flying first class. 

Esteemed Contributor

Spirit is a tough airline to fly with. They are a cattle car airline - meaning you are packed in - very unfriendly & they charge for everything. And, good luck if your flight is delayed or canceled.

Respected Contributor

I and I guess millions of other people have flown Spirit ONCE.   

I managed to beat their game and didn't pay one cent over my ticket price.  I had a family emergency and had to leave that night.  Fare was pennies on the dollar compared to all other carriers.   And it was nonstop!!

I didn't care what seat I got so no extra money for that. I got everything in a small under the seat bag and put my purse in it.  No luggage to check.  No extra money. 

I didn't buy one thing to eat or drink on the flight.  No extra money.

The flight itself was fine ; left on time and got me there.   But I wouldn't do it again.

Honored Contributor

I've flown them several times in a "pinch" Tampa to Atlantic City, NJ .. BUT be advised if you have luggage, buy a seat, carry on back pack, etc.  those FEES add up quickly!

I only flew because dates were unavailable on Frontier (who is the same with fees) 

I do not take luggage, etc. I'm happy to sit anywhere its only a 2 hour flight and I don't buy any snacks, etc.

So my $44 flight was just $44!  Its certainly nothing like SW or a big airline but it gets me to safely where I wanted to go.  And I've never had delays on Spirit -- Allegiant yes even flights cancelled!

Regular Contributor

once flew round trip

phila to Las Vegas on Spirit. NEVER, EVER AGAIN! both flights were 1-2 hr late. flight home was overbooked, the terminal was jammed-people sitting on the floor beacuse not enough seats. delayed taking off while the police came on to force someone off. seats very very close front to back and do not adjust. that was the longest, smelliest flight ever.