Frequent Contributor

Has anyone done the Rocky Mountaineer tours in Canada?  I've been watching a train show on the Smithsonian channel and they had this train on one week.  It looked like a fun way to see Canada.  I just don't know anyone who has done it and I'd like to hear some comments from someone who has taken the tour before I get too excited about it.

Honored Contributor

@ShopperL  I haven’t done the tour but have seen this train on Smithsonian channel. It looked good and my husband wants to do it. He is doing more research into it.

Esteemed Contributor

@ShopperL   It is something we've always considered doing but haven't yet.  We did however do a tour with Tauck in the Canadien rockies, visiting Jasper, Banff and Lake Louise.  One of the most beautiful trips we've taken and we have been blessed to have traveled a lot.   It definatley rivals Alaska as far as the scenery. It was a luxury bus tour.

Esteemed Contributor

@ShopperL  I have not done this but I plan to in the near future.  I do workout with a couple who did take the Mountaineer and they said this was the best vacation that they have ever taken and well worth the money.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

We have never done the Rocky Moutaineer which is a bit beyond our price point--LOL!!  However, we have done the Canadian Rockies and took the VIA train from Edmonton to Vancouver via Jasper Nat'l Park.  It was memorable!  Of all the places we've been to, the Canadian Rockies are among the ones that stand out in my memory.  Enjoy!

Trusted Contributor

We looked into this trip and we, too, found it to be very pricey.  I visited the Canadian Rockies as a teenager and would love to go again.  The scenery is magnificent.

Frequent Contributor

We did a partial tour on this train.  It was spacious and clean.  We went through a tour company.  We had our own car and attendant.  We didn't choose the package for the dome car.  We had good views.  Yes, go while you can.

Trusted Contributor

Fun For Less offers this tour. Hubby and I were looking at this. It's very expensive around 20 thousand for the 2 of use. Frankly after watching their video where I live the  mountains are more beautiful.  But, if your interested this tour company is excellent. We've gone on many with them.

Respected Contributor

We've looked at it as well.  Besides pricey, it's a lot of sitting.

Contributor
My mother and I made this train trip while I was living in Calgary back in 2000. It was magnificent and I highly recommend it. We caught the train in Vancouver and traveled east to Banff in a domed car. The train stops overnight in British Columbia, so all the traveling is during daylight hours. The scenery is spectacular, and a major benefit of taking the train as opposed to just driving the route is all the commentary, pointing out natural features such as the osprey nests along the route as well as historical features such as the Burgess Shale and engineering marvels such as the circular tunnel that allowed the massive trains to climb the steep grades of the Canadian Rockies. The food was excellent and we met some interesting people. The beauty of the Canadian Rockies is unparalleled. Other trips I would recommend while in the area are Vancouver, Vancouver Island & Victoria, Butchert Gardens, high tea at the Empress Hotel, and the British Columbia ferries; Banff, Lake Louise & Moraine Lake (my favorite! but only open in the summer due to accessibility); Icefields Parkway (super glaciers) drive to Jasper; east of Calgary, trip to the world class royal dinosaur museum, site of some of the world’s best dinosaur finds; and in Banff, the fairy tale castle-like Banff Springs Hotel; and world class fly fishing in the Bow River..... It is an awesome place to visit or to live!