Esteemed Contributor

It’s been a few years since I’ve been to the travel show, but I did recall that I had some recommendations saved.  I think this was from Peggy Frommer’s presentation, but can’t be 100%. I personally have not taken a River Cruise yet.

Ive seen Samantha Brown also recommend Ama.  Of course, it depends on how much you want to spend and level of luxury wanted. This is just an idea of what a travel professional would recommend.

15A83A79-AAF5-4476-A0D0-0C74516D02F9.jpeg

Honored Contributor

On our Danube cruise they had slower more leisurely tours as there were some cruisers who knew they couldn’t keep up with the regular tours.

Trusted Contributor

@Alter Ego wrote:

It’s been a few years since I’ve been to the travel show, but I did recall that I had some recommendations saved.  I think this was from Peggy Frommer’s presentation, but can’t be 100%. I personally have not taken a River Cruise yet.

Ive seen Samantha Brown also recommend Ama.  Of course, it depends on how much you want to spend and level of luxury wanted. This is just an idea of what a travel professional would recommend.

15A83A79-AAF5-4476-A0D0-0C74516D02F9.jpeg

@Alter Ego 

So helpful!

Thank you!!!!!!!!!

Respected Contributor

I took a Viking Cruise and it was terrific. I have nothing but wonderful things to  say about it. There was a family on the trip with a family member in a wheelchair. They seemed to function and went on all the tours. 

Trusted Contributor

We used Uniworld several times and had a great time.

Esteemed Contributor

I have heard about the NY through New England and NY through to Canada cruises...........would have pasted the website but wasn't able.....you can google it.....seems that have great reviews and you are still close to the US......

maybe someday for me and my husband

Contributor

I have done a few river cruises and enjoyed them all with Vantage.

Respected Contributor

@JasoninBoston

I have done the Rhine/Moselle Rivers as well as the Danube. There are optional tours like to castles and some offer Gentle Walker groups. The Christmas Market one did. The catalogs have charts for amount of walking and whether a companion is needed to assist at times. There was a husband and wife and the wife had cancer. If she was tired she stayed back to rest and her husband joined the group to tour.

I have been happy with Grand Circle and Vantage. There are not the restrictive food options for meals, some say as many choices and a quick light lunch for those who prefer to rest, read or nap. I was amazed at the people who are so traveled 50 trips, for example and are a special group who get perks for frequent travel. Some lines have complementary house wines and beers others one is charged.

The staff are all very accommodating and professional. Some include tips and some do not. The amount is divided among  all from the housekeepers to the food service and deck crew. 

The woman I travel with goes every two months somewhere and the cruise lines know her by first name. There are many free flights offered lately as well. I am going to France and wine/cheese country in July which is a more laid back river cruise through Bordeaux and Loire in July with free air fair.   

They all are willing to send out catalogs and day to day itinerary if you ask. Viking advertises more so people think of them first. They have docked and walked on the same tour sites. Maybe the ships looked a little more fancy as we have passed through their boats when docked. Extra optional cultural activities are available like making Strudel, local music and political talks.

Insurance is offered and promoted but runs an extra $500 or so. I have foreign travel included in my Medicare supplement. My travel friend is 76 and chances it. She did get me walking four plus miles a day which helps on the trips.

When my parents retired I went to Hawaii and Canada with them. I think it is wonderful you are going to take your Mother, very nice.                                                                                                                                                                                              

Trusted Contributor

@Gorgf wrote:

@JasoninBoston

I have done the Rhine/Moselle Rivers as well as the Danube. There are optional tours like to castles and some offer Gentle Walker groups. The Christmas Market one did. The catalogs have charts for amount of walking and whether a companion is needed to assist at times. There was a husband and wife and the wife had cancer. If she was tired she stayed back to rest and her husband joined the group to tour.

I have been happy with Grand Circle and Vantage. There are not the restrictive food options for meals, some say as many choices and a quick light lunch for those who prefer to rest, read or nap. I was amazed at the people who are so traveled 50 trips, for example and are a special group who get perks for frequent travel. Some lines have complementary house wines and beers others one is charged.

The staff are all very accommodating and professional. Some include tips and some do not. The amount is divided among  all from the housekeepers to the food service and deck crew. 

The woman I travel with goes every two months somewhere and the cruise lines know her by first name. There are many free flights offered lately as well. I am going to France and wine/cheese country in July which is a more laid back river cruise through Bordeaux and Loire in July with free air fair.   

They all are willing to send out catalogs and day to day itinerary if you ask. Viking advertises more so people think of them first. They have docked and walked on the same tour sites. Maybe the ships looked a little more fancy as we have passed through their boats when docked. Extra optional cultural activities are available like making Strudel, local music and political talks.

Insurance is offered and promoted but runs an extra $500 or so. I have foreign travel included in my Medicare supplement. My travel friend is 76 and chances it. She did get me walking four plus miles a day which helps on the trips.

When my parents retired I went to Hawaii and Canada with them. I think it is wonderful you are going to take your Mother, very nice.                                                                                                                                                                                              

What a lovely and thoughtful response.  Thank you!

I am going to discuss with my mom in a few weeks time to see what she thinks and what she feels up to.  Maybe a 7-10 day cruise is what I am thinking.

Thanks again!

@Gorgf 

Trusted Contributor

Re: River cruises

[ Edited ]

@Janey2 wrote:

I took a Viking Cruise and it was terrific. I have nothing but wonderful things to  say about it. There was a family on the trip with a family member in a wheelchair. They seemed to function and went on all the tours. 

I have also very much enjoyed travel with Viking. I will be going on their river cruise in Portugal this September. On the river cruise, they offered different levels for most of their city tours. My 90 year old mother will be going on the Portugal trip, too. She may stay on the bus sometimes if the walking is too tough or may stay on the ship if she needs to rest. Viking will take good care of her. 

I think you could call. I’ll bet they have openings but just not enough to advertise. The Danube tour was really good, but I’m sure they all are. I have also done a Viking Ocean Cruise which was very elegant.