Trusted Contributor

My mom has recently had a difficult time with cancer.  She seems to be at a stable point now for which I am so very grateful. I keep looking at Viking River cruises for the fall and most seem already sold out.  There was a super nice looking one from Paris to Zurich.

Does anyone have any experience with other cruise lines in Europe?  I was thinking Viking, however, my friend mentioned Crystal as being nice too. 

Any other recommendations for the fall of this year.  I'd like an easier gateway cities from the US too as I want to try to keep things simpler.

Honored Contributor

@JasoninBoston.  A few years ago we went on Avalon down the Danube. It isn’t one of the top five but we had a great time. Tours worked out well and we had a very nice room.

Trusted Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@JasoninBoston.  A few years ago we went on Avalon down the Danube. It isn’t one of the top five but we had a great time. Tours worked out well and we had a very nice room.

Thanks for the recommendation.

I will check them out too!

@proudlyfromNJ 

Respected Contributor

Sorry to hear about your Mom.  My parents and I took a Crystal cruise from NY to Quebec some years ago, and though it was quite expensive, it was extremely well-done with helpful and attentive service all along the way. Having lost my Dad three weeks ago today, I can only say that if your Mom is up to it, you and she will treasure this very special time together.

Trusted Contributor

@vsm wrote:

Sorry to hear about your Mom.  My parents and I took a Crystal cruise from NY to Quebec some years ago, and though it was quite expensive, it was extremely well-done with helpful and attentive service all along the way. Having lost my Dad three weeks ago today, I can only say that if your Mom is up to it, you and she will treasure this very special time together.

@vsm 

Thanks for the suggetion!

I was looking at Europe only.  The North American option seems easier in many ways!

Thanks again!

Honored Contributor

I've done several river cruises with Grand Circle..

There is a fair amount of walking involved if you want to go on the city tours but it's been a few years and I truly don't recall the actual distances.  You might want to keep that in mind as you speak to the reps who may be able to help you choose what works best for mom and you.

Trusted Contributor

Re: River cruises

[ Edited ]

@millieshops wrote:

I've done several river cruises with Grand Circle..

There is a fair amount of walking involved if you want to go on the city tours but it's been a few years and I truly don't recall the actual distances.  You might want to keep that in mind as you speak to the reps who may be able to help you choose what works best for mom and you.

@millieshops 

Thanks for the ideas.

River cruising seems appealing if she didn't have energy to go on the various tours she wouldn't need to... instead she could just rest in the room.  But I do think I should call some of various companies too.

Thanks again!

Esteemed Contributor

@JasoninBoston , I hope your mom is doing well.  Great of you to plan a trip with her.  If she has been ill, it is especially important you get and understand what is covered and what isn’t covered with medical trip insurance.

I hope you find something special!  LM

Trusted Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@JasoninBoston , I hope your mom is doing well.  Great of you to plan a trip with her.  If she has been ill, it is especially important you get and understand what is covered and what isn’t covered with medical trip insurance.

I hope you find something special!  LM

@Lilysmom 

good point about the trip insurance!

Thank you!!

Esteemed Contributor

@JasoninBoston @make sure you understand the limitations on coverage for pre existing conditions.  If you know someone who travels extensively, a chat would be a good idea.  There are many many ways insurance companies can deny coverage.  Be prepared, it could save you some heartache!  LM