Respected Contributor

Returned from our trip to Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, Zion

We’ve never been to the Grand Canyon, Lake Powell or Zion and

we’ve always wanted to go so we decided to sign up for a bus tour through Caravan Tours.  We flew into Phoenix a week ago Saturday and returned this past Monday. The tour started in Phoenix and ended in Las Vegas. We flew to Phoenix a couple days before the tour began. 

The tour had an informational meeting on Sunday night  and then officially began a week ago Monday. We left Phoenix for the Grand Canyon where we stayed two nights at the Thunderbird Lodge just a couple hundred feet from the canyon rim. On our way we stopped at Montezuma’s Castle (Native American cliff dwellings) and Sedona. That evening we arrived at the Grand Canyon.

On Tuesday we had an orientation tour of the canyon with the remainder of the day to explore on our own.

On Wednesday we left for Lake Powell where we stayed at the Lake Powell Resort for two nights with a stop on the way for a jeep tour at Monument Valley led by a Navajo Guide.

On Thursday we took a scenic boat tour of Lake Powell with the remainder of the day on our own.  

Friday we left for Zion National Park where we stayed for two nights at the only lodge in the park with a stop on the way at Bryce Canyon.

Saturday morning was an orientation tour of Zion with the remainder of the day on our own.  

Sunday we left for Las Vegas where our tour ended. We stayed one night in Las Vegas (not part of the tour - just did it on our own). 

The tour director and bus driver were both knowledgeable and professional.  We were amazed every day by the scenery all around us. I was worried that early November would not be a good time to go but as it ended up it was perfect - we avoided the crowds and still had beautiful weather.  Our fellow bus tour travelers were all very nice and we enjoyed the tour immensely.  I would highly recommend it!

Honored Contributor

Re: Returned from our trip to Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, Zion

@itsmagic How cool! Sounds like a really great trip and you were kept busy, seeing a lot of places.

I have heard of Caravan Tours, but have not used them. Based upon what you said, it sounds like they make sure you get your money's worth.

If you think of anything else to add about the trip or the tour company, please post again.

Respected Contributor

It sounds like a marvelous tour. We really enjoyed seeing Zion, Bryce, Monument Valley, and other places in 2012 (won a 2 wk trip for 4 to the national parks).

Respected Contributor

@World Traveler

We had not heard of Caravan Tours until I did an on-line search for tours in that area and Caravan came up. Other companies such as Globus and Tauck also came up but Caravan was more affordable yet stayed at the same in-park lodges that the other more expensive tours did.  I then decided to check with our local travel agent who called Caravan and she reported back to me that they sounded fine. When we arrived in Phoenix many of our fellow travelers told us that they had taken several different tours through them so that made me feel good about our upcoming tour. And based on our recent trip I would definitely go on another Caravan Tour. 

Frequent Contributor

Thank you for such a thorough description.  I have heard of Caravan and was considering a tour of the same area you went to.  May I ask the approximate age range of the other travelers in the group.  Did the majority of them seem to be active and ambulatory?  I think I'm ready to have someone plan the trip for me, just want to be sure that I'm not the youngest one there.  (I'm in mid-60's)

Honored Contributor

@itsmagic    You certainly saw many of the most spectacular venues in the US.  There are many more but maybe save for your next trip.  The Four Corners area and Southern Utah are truly God's Country.

When you went to Lake Powell, were you able to see Rainbow Bridge?  I was there in '80s and we had to walk about a mile to get to it, but I've heard that the lake has receded so much that it's now a major hike.  Too bad because it's an amazing sight.  Much higher/bigger than it appears in photos.

20171115_164137.png

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Elbelle wrote:

Thank you for such a thorough description.  I have heard of Caravan and was considering a tour of the same area you went to.  May I ask the approximate age range of the other travelers in the group.  Did the majority of them seem to be active and ambulatory?  I think I'm ready to have someone plan the trip for me, just want to be sure that I'm not the youngest one there.  (I'm in mid-60's)

@Elbelle  I would say 80 percent were in their 60s or beyond (most retired). I’m guessing the youngest on our tour was late 40s. We had three Canadian couples with the rest scattered from around the U.S.  We had about three people who came as singles (who always had an offer by couples to join them in free time activities if they wanted to).  Everyone was fairly active (and all ambulatory) - some more so than others.  But you can be as active or inactive as you like.  For example at Zion one couple might hike a long trail spending the whole afternoon while another hiked a short trail and came back to the Lodge and rested. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624  No, we did not see Rainbow Bridge while visiting Lake Powell. It looks spectacular though. I remember saying to my husband that Lake Powell looked low so I think you are right that it has receded. 

Esteemed Contributor

What was the weather like? Is it cold in November?

Thank you!!
Respected Contributor

@Alter Ego

The weather was really good for us the first week of November.  We started in the 80s in Phoenix then had low to mid 60s in the various parks and ended with 70s in Las Vegas.  It was pretty cool in the early mornings and evenings though and we never had rain.