Esteemed Contributor

I have signed up for a trip to Anchorage and Fairbanks for the Iditarod and the ice sculptures, along with, hopefully, the northern lights.  The trip is in March.  I asked one of the organizers when airline tickets should be purchased and was told to wait until November.  When I looked at Alaska Air, most of the better seats are already sold out, so I thought about purchasing refundable tickets.  If you have done so, did it work out if you had to cancel?  I have only flown Alaska Air one time and got our tickets three months in advance.  Our seats were terrible and I do not want to have a repeat.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

Re: Refundable Airline Tickets?

I would check with Alaska Airlines and read the fine print.  We've booked flights for this year on United and all they mention is "no change fee."  Not sure if refunds are part of the deal.  Usually the higher priced tickets are "fully refundable" but things change.  

Esteemed Contributor

@kaydee50  I plan on using AAA for my trip needs.  Normally, it might not be a problem with getting tickets three months ahead, but I already have a hotel room for the night before the actual trip starts and I do not want an overnight in Seattle nor do I want to get into Anchorage at midnight.  There are two flights from Philly that will get me into Anchorage mid-afternoon.

Honored Contributor

Years ago I started flying AA from WA to CA (love that airline). The first 2 years I used AAA but then found out that booking online is SO EASY and I got to pick out my seat, if I booked in a timely manner.

Never looked into refundable tickets. As someone said read the fine print.

Respected Contributor

I've only purchased fully refundable tickets once in my life, but I had no problem getting the refund when we had to cancel.

@SXMGirl - I understand your concern with wanting to get "good seats", but keep in mind that even if you select the seats that you want from the seat map, there is a possibility that you will not keep those seat assignments, especially the further ahead that you book. You need to read the fine print in the contract of carriage. The contract between you and the airline is only to transport you from point A to point B, in the class of service that you've purchased. If there is an equipment change, schedule change, or "operational need", they are perfectly within that contract to move you to other seats in the same cabin/class of service that you've purchased. It doesn'happen often, but it can. That's why frequent travelers check their itineraries often to keep up with any changes. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Esteemed Contributor

I went ahead and purchased a regular first-class ticket.  The refundable ones were outrageously priced.  I decided that if the tour gets cancelled, I am going anyway.  I have traveled alone before and I had often thought of doing that with the hopes of seeing the aurora.  I did not purchase a return ticket, so I can stay until I see it.

Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

I did not purchase a return ticket  www.MessenTools.com-Mensajes-big-25.gif@SXMGirl 

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif