Valued Contributor

Re: Recommendations for restaurants in London

If you can get a reservation, I’d recommend Gordon Ramsey’s Savoy Grill next door to the Savoy Hotel and Simpson’s in the Strand which is right down the street.
Trusted Contributor

DH and I just returned from 10 days in London.  I love London, there is just so much atmosphere!  

Here's another vote for Simpson's.  I believe they specialize in seafood - their Dover sole is perfection.

If you are interested in a bit of old London atmosphere, try Rules.  It's the oldest restaurant in London, founded in 1798.  It was a favorite of Edward VII while he was Prince of Wales and he would meet his, ummm, lady friends in a room upstairs, which you can reserve for private dinners to this day!  It is a 'game'  and meat heavy restaurant, so expect pheasant, rabbit, etc.  But it's sourced on the restaurant's own lands in northern England.  DH and I had the prime rib for two with the best Yorkshire pudding.  The best part is the atmosphere, it will make you feel like you're in a Dicken's novel. 

Both Simpson's and Rules are pricey, so we go to one or the other each trip as our special treat.  

Sunday Lunch/Roast in a pub is not to be missed, but find a good one.  Some are just going through the motions and you're left with overcooked beef and dry Yorkshire pudding. 

I do agree about typical 'British' food being kind of bland: hearty, but bland.  So ethnic restaurants are a usually a  good choice.  

Valued Contributor

While in London I like to find restaurants that include afternoon tea on the lunch menu.  My husband can have what he likes for lunch and I can have a full afternoon tea.  A few years ago we did this at the Kensington Palace Pavilion  https://kensingtonpalacepavilion.co.uk/ 

Another place we enjoyed was the Wolseley on Picadilly.  The building housed a car dealer nearly 100 years ago. https://www.thewolseley.com/history/

Hope you have a wonderful trip. 

Respected Contributor

On my first trip to London, my husband and I ate at the Rules in Convent Garden on a rainy Sunday afternoon.  It is an old restaurant and it was featured in an episode of Downton Abbey - if you are a fan!  It was old fashioned, lovely and the food was good as I remember.  

Super Contributor

I never skip a visit to Barrafina while in London (there are 3 locations I think) to catch up with friends over authentic Spanish tapas. Delicious and fun. There is a place I absolutely adore called Amaya (right down the street from Harvey Nichols in Knigtsbridge) that does Indian food but tapas style. Seriously phenomenal. Love London so much. Enjoy! 

Respected Contributor

I survived on Belgian food in London. The name is Belgo Centraal. Great mussels, French fries, crepes, waffles and great selection of beer. 

Respected Contributor

@TootyJane wrote:
If you can get a reservation, I’d recommend Gordon Ramsey’s Savoy Grill next door to the Savoy Hotel and Simpson’s in the Strand which is right down the street.

We went to both these resturants and had fabulous meals.  We had Sunday roast at the Savoy and it was the bomb.