Esteemed Contributor

Re: Recommendations for passport belt...

I agree with @patbz  - if I don't need it with me, I leave it in the safe.  If you miss the boat, they'll go into your safe and leave it.  But, you're probably not going to miss the boat!!  (And, yes I know it's a ship...)

Trusted Contributor

I cruise on a regular basis and for ME...For me, when I leave the ship I am going on a shore excursion which involves swimming, tour bus ride, going to several stops, walking, going to various stores. so I don't take my passport.

For people who might be doing some kind of business, adoption, going to the US Embassy, etc... those people might need to take their passport but I can't think of a reason to take it for a shore excursion.  

I don't take my passport off the ship at each port.  I have seen too many people get robbed in various ports all around the world and it is so much drama to re enter the US, especially in nowadays. 

FOR ME...

When I am at a port, I take the following..

1) US Driver's License/State ID card

2) Blue Cross Blue Shiled Medical Insurance Card

3) Met Life Dental Care

4) Xerox Copy of my Passport.

5) Cruise Square Key (NCL,Carnival, whomever)

In my cabin, I leave my passport in my locked luggage.  I don't even put it in the safe in case something crazy happens and the safe locks and no one on the ship can open it.

In all my 15 plus cruises, I have NEVER take my passport with me during a shore excursion.  

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Trusted Contributor

@Mnmomof3boys wrote:

My son who is in High School is going to Ireland with a large tour. It was recommended by tour company and band director in charge of tour that they purchase a RFID neck wallet. Probably, same item that previous poster said her husband has.

For me, I hope the teacher is not recommending that these young people take their passports with them during their daily trips??? I understand at the airport but each day while they are shopping, swimming, walking etc...

Well each trip is different but I'd hate for a young child to have this much responsiblity every day while traveling.

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@Happiness Is Inside JOB :  I agree with you about kids on a school trip to Ireland.  A designated adult should be in charge of passports and hand them out when necessary.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have traveled to the Caribbean and Mexico on a cruise ship

I leave passport in the safe and take a xerox copy with me along with driver's license

i only needed the ship's card to get back on board

Respected Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

I found it easier to keep my passport in a zippered compartment in my pocketbook.  I know my pocketbook goes where I go, so I don't have to worry that I don't have it with me.

I originally bought a cover for it, but found it makes TSA and gate agents at the airport report angry.  LOL.  They were very impatient if the passport was in a cover.  Then it was an issue scanning it.

I agree with you.  The TSA hated our passport covers so they sit in a drawer.

I always carry our passports in my purse.  I am not a fanny pack or wallet around the neck person.

Esteemed Contributor

@lulu1 :  I hope nobody snatches your purse or your family is in a mess!  I have travelled to about 80 countries and even though I am very careful (DH and I wore no jewelry including wedding rings on a 6 week South American cruise) but I had 2 cameras stolen out of my car in Italy and DH had $300 picked from his pocket in Italy.  The crooks do it for a living and they are good!  Carrying your family's passports in your purse makes you a TARGET!

Respected Contributor

Neck holder might work but if you are in a large crowd or subway or the like I would definetly keep it tucked inside your shirt.  Pickpockets are everywhere and they are GOOD.  I know because I had an attempt on the subway in Paris.  Luckiy, my passport and $ were in a zipperd compartment inside my crossbody which was right in front of me but they managed to unzip the outer zippers.  I was lucky.

Esteemed Contributor

I carry a xerox as well.
Esteemed Contributor

I wear a neck wallet and then once I don't need it I slip it in my shoulder bag which is more specifically called a SLING.  Look up sling bags online.