Respected Contributor

I have been invited to travel with my dear cousin and her husband to the Raleigh area in July. Does anyone know if it is worth going? There is a business meeting so I will have free time to roam around for 2 days. I had heard many people moving down to this area to escape the high taxes in the Northeast but really know nothing about it. Is Durham a walkable community ? Or do I need a car?

Valued Contributor

That's where I live and keep in mind in July its hot and humid.  Raleigh/Durham is not a walkable community, it's 2 urban areas with surrounding suburbs.  If you can get downtown at either place you can walk around.  I'm not sure what you would be interested in doing, but you would have to have a car.  Traffic between 7 and 9 in the morning and 4 and 7 in the evening is basically a nightmare.  Honestly, if I didn't live here I wouldn't visit, but that's me.  Maybe someone else who lives around here has a better idea of what you could do.  Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

I live right outside Raleigh. "Roaming" around Ral/Dur is not an option. You need a car and if you are not familiar with the area it can be a nightmare at best. Even the GPS girl can get you so turned around you won't have any idea where you are. There are several malls to shop at but you will need malox to navigate traffic getting there. Other than it being very hot and humid, Welcome to NC and enjoy your trip.

Frequent Contributor

In my opinion, Raleigh is a great area IF you know your way around.  We have lived in Wake Forest, which is a bedroom community of Raleigh, for 14 years and I still have problems navigating Raleigh, even with a gps.  Shopping is good and there are good places to eat, but I don’t think I would want to do it by myself if I were you.  You definitely need a car....no doubt about that.  There’s lots of traffic and lots of construction going on all over Raleigh.  As far as Durham, there is a lot to do there, but it is also very spread out, and I NEVER travel alone at night in Durham.  Hopefully, some others will chime in and aid you in making your decision. Good luck!