Super Contributor

Which is the best way to get Euros?  I don't want to use an ATM since I heard a lot of negative things about ATM safety and nasty surprises for people returning to the U.S.  Bank?  Airport?  Not sure which way to go.  Tips greatly appreciated.

Honored Contributor

Re: Question for World Traveler

@TW  I find the best way is thru my bank. I go online and order the money and within three days they have it to me, FedEx. One trip where I went to 10 different countries, they sent me the various currency of the places I was going. So easy, safe, and fast!

Esteemed Contributor

@TW  I know that you are asking @Worldtravler, but I recently traveled outside of the country and went to my local bank.  The reason I am chiming in here is that not every branch carries foreign currency, at least where I live.  I know that @Worldtravler can give you more accurate information, but it probably would be good to plan ahead and see if your bank always has foreign currency on hand.  The branch that I use did not carry what I needed, I had to go to another branch, and I needed to call ahead.  Just my fyi.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

AAA travel agencies has an "exchange bank" inside their agencies where you can get foreign $$$$. 

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

When I travel to Europe, I always take Euros, but prefer to use a credit card for most purchases.

I use a Capital One card.  Their cc does not charge conversion fees when out of the country.   Those currency conversion fees are usually between 1 and 3%.

There are other cards that do not charge a currency conversion fee also.  You should check your cards to see if fees will be charged before you go.  Those fees can be high and add hundreds of dollars to your trip.

Contributor

I get Euros from Wells Fargo many times .

Esteemed Contributor

Basically no matter where you get them there will some kind of “fee”, so I just plan on using my credit card mostly.  I know, still stuck with fees.

Check your bank card to ensure it will work at their ATMs before you go.

ATMs are fine and you will find money changers all over.  Never had a problem getting some, basically you are bombarded at the airport and tourist sites.  If you want to waste time you can search better fees.

Trusted Contributor

We always like to have a little bit of cash in Euros when we get off the plane, even though there are ATMs everywhere in Europe.  

We've gotten them at our local bank.  Even though they don't have them readily on site, I filled out a form and had the Euros within a few days.  

I also got Norwegian Kroners last year - didn't know until about a week before we left that Norway doesn't use the Euro!  

While AAA says there is no 'fee' for changing money with them, their exchange rate was not as favorable as our bank's.  Also, the bank fee was a flat $7, no matter how much cash you ordered.  

Super Contributor

Thank you, appreciate all the comments.  I checked with our local banks and they do not change/provide foreign currency.  Online they claim they do.  So I will have to call one of their main offices to clarify.  Like a previous reply said, not easy to live off the beaten path.  Living in NJ I had no problem getting foreign currency.  In the heartland, small town, that seems to be an issue. 

Honored Contributor

@TW Depending upon which bank you do business with, you shouldn't have to call.

With my bank, when I go online they have a link under Help and Support that says Travel Information. When I click on that it gives you some options, one of which is Order Foreign Currency. I would think most banks have that, unless they are a small, independent bank; then, maybe not.

You can also let them know WHEN you plan to travel so they know that someone isn't using your account fraudulently when they see an ATM or some other transaction going on in another country.