Respected Contributor

I just purchased new luggage & will be on vacation next week.  My last two sets had the small metal insignia completely gone when I pick up my luggage at the baggage claim.  Any ideas on how I can protect this on my new set?  

4B332958-F150-4C58-9AB3-A5ADA4C64476.jpeg

Regular Contributor

We recently flew to Alaska and back (3 flights each way) and had great success protecting our luggage using spandex suitcase protectors.  It's kind of like a tee shirt for your luggage!  They are TSA approved, come in many colors/prints and did a great job keeping our luggage clean and intact.  Can be thrown in the washer for cleaning.  I got them at Amazon.

Respected Contributor

@AnnieBelle  Thank you for posting about the luggage covers.  I had no idea they made them in such cute prints.  I'm definitely going to order the Flamingo print to protect my new 25" Travelpro.  It will look great with my flamingo print mini puddle jumper.

Respected Contributor

@AnnieBelle, wish I would have posted this sooner, I am flying out this Sunday with no time to order. Thinking about putting a piece a duct tape over it?  Regardless I will be ordering a cover when I get back, thank you!  

Super Contributor

Our airport has kiosks where travellers can "shrink wrap" their luggage in plastic. I see lots of folks doing it, although I never have (I usually carry-on my luggage). 

Regular Contributor

I have a flamingo print!  It's a black background with palm trees and such!  I resisted ordering the flamingo print puddle jumper but did get the grape colored one.  I love it but wish I had it for the Alaska trip.  I threw the spandex covers in the wash when we returned (they took a beating and had many black marks on them) and they came out as good as new.  

Regular Contributor

I did see a shrink-wrap shop when we were traveling this time - first time I ever saw that.  Didn't see any prices on it though.  Wonder if that's TSA approved?

Esteemed Contributor

@AnnieBelle, who knew!!!  Luggage covers. When I fly it is usually international so I would be worried about this passing security.  Any comments on that?  I would have the same concern about shrink wrap.  After many years of travel, I don’t buy the really expensive side luggage sets anymore.  Way too much experience with damage.  LM

Honored Contributor

I wish I knew about the covers before.

When we went to Alaska, I bought new luggage. On the way back, my husband's bag was over 50 pounds. So we put the bottles of liquor in my bag. When we arrived home at the Philadelphia Airport. I picked up my bag. It was soaking wet. 

Well, all the way home, I let my husband have it. His bottles of liquor broke and now my bag was soaked. YACK! YACK! YACK!

When we got home the inside of my bag was compeletely dry. The bottles were intact. What happened, the only rain we encountered was in Philadelphia. So my bag must have sat in a puddle of water in Philadelphia. And soaked up water. But since it had water proof lining, the contents were dry. I wondered how long the luggage must have sat in the water to become soaked.

Good luck protecting your luggage.

Esteemed Contributor
All I know about the shrink wrap is that I see it quite a bit in other countries - don’t recall in any US airports, but I also haven’t looked for it. I wish I could remember which countries they were, but in a couple, it almost seemed like I was the only person NOT doing it!

I don’t often use my hard sided luggage, but will in September. Think I’ll get one of the covers discussed in earlier post - reading the comments about how easy this type of luggage cracks has made me nervous. But there are so many beautiful designs that it’s hard to decide!