Honored Contributor

Probably a dumb question but...

We have a few days booked for Florida, flying.  I paid for 1 checked bag and 1 carry on bag.....I know that I can carry a tote as my purse but can DH carry something that I have not paid for?

Honored Contributor

Re: Probably a dumb question but...

Everyone is entitled to one carryon that can fit in the overhead and one "personal" item, e.g., briefcase, purse.  So if he can carry it on and it fits those descriptions, no need to pay for it.

Respected Contributor

Not a dumb question at all. I believe it's one carry on per person. Your DH should be able to take a carry on as well. But, to be absolutely sure, you should check the airlines website for all the details. Enjoy your trip!

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs  That is not a dumb question.  We never know when the rules will change for anything, but it is always best to check when traveling on an airline.  @kaydee50's answer is correct.  I put my handbag in a large tote and bring a carry-on.  DH takes whatever I need him to since he does not carry a handbag.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

Actually, I want to amend my previous answer.  If you're flying one of those "discount" airlines like Spirit or Allegiant, I believe they do charge for any carryon.  Since I have never and would neve fly those airlines, my answer only referred to major carriers like American, Jet Blue, United and Southwest.

Honored Contributor

Thanks,    I thought that I 'paid' for my carry on...I will double check with the airline, because if I paid then I would guess that we would have to pay at the airport for his carry on.....flying is not as fun as it used to be!

Honored Contributor

I fly Alaska and have never had to pay for a carry on! And it's 1 carry on per PERSON, doesn't matter if you are a couple...

Respected Contributor

Most fares on most mainline carriers (Delta, American, United, Alaska) allow each passenger to bring one carry-on bag and one personal item on board. The carry-on goes in the overhead and the personal item goes under the seat in front of you. The only exception would be if you bought one of the deeply discounted coach fares, usually called something like "basic economy". Some of those fares don't allow a carry-on at all.

If you're flying a discount carrier, you need to check with your carrier as to what's allowed with the ticket you purchased. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Super Contributor

I am sure it varies by airline but when we fly Allegiant if you pay for a carry on at the airport they charge you more than online before the flight. Allegiant only allows one personal item for free. Best thing to do is check with your airline.

Respected Contributor

kaydee is correct.

Spirit charges extra for EVERYthing. They charge for water.  And you pay more at the airport than ahead.

Never again fo me.  Their airfares were cheaper but by the time you total everything you're better off with a "major" airline.  We love Southwest.