Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Probably a dumb question but...

The rule is for most carriers-one carry-on and one personal item-free for everyone.  I believe the cheapo carriers like Allegiant and Spirit charge for everything.

@Mom2Dogs-What airline are you flying on?

Honored Contributor

@bowlicious , we are flying Allegiant....I did go their web site and I thought I read that each passenger is allowed one carry on, but when I booked I did not think we both would need to carry on a bag, now I am not sure.

Since I opted for only me with a carry on when I booked the trip I am a little confused on if we will be charged if my husband has a carry on....I will have to investigate further.

Honored Contributor

@qbetzforreal , we are flying Alegiant, where the motto should be 'we charge for every little thing'!

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogsare you talking about a carry-on that you need to put in the overhead bin or a carry-on that DH will put under the seat in front of  him?

I generally travel United and we do basic economy. That means we cannot bring a carry-on that has to fit in the overhead bin. We can bring a carry-on per person that fits under the seat in front of us.  I always bring a lug overnight bag and I put my purse inside it so that is my personal item.  DH has brought a duffel bag before but usually we get away with just my lug bag.   

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva , well not sure, but after reading the website a bit closer I think we can both bring on a bag, if it fits under the seat.  For some reason I was thinking the two were interchanable, but it's not, overbin bag can be larger than under the seat bag.....we have not flown in years, can you tell?

Honored Contributor

Not a dumb question at all.  He gets one carry on and one personal bag the same as you.  Which worked out well for hubby and me when flew to FL.  We didn't have to check any bags at all, we put it all in our carry on and totes bags.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Lipstickdiva , well not sure, but after reading the website a bit closer I think we can both bring on a bag, if it fits under the seat.  For some reason I was thinking the two were interchanable, but it's not, overbin bag can be larger than under the seat bag.....we have not flown in years, can you tell?

@Mom2Dogs, I've never flown Allegiant but yes, a carry-on bag for the overhead bin can be bigger while your personal item must fit under the seat in front of you.  The other thing to watch out for is weights of bags.  Many of the budget airlines have a lower weight limit than standard airlines like United, Southwest, etc. so just make sure you pay attention to that as well.  

Because we fly basic economy on United, we are always the last boarding group to board the plane so bin space is always gone anyhow.  LOL  And technically my Lug bag is slightly over the size limit for a personal bag but they've never said a word.  It easily fits under the seat.   

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree wrote:

Not a dumb question at all.  He gets one carry on and one personal bag the same as you.  Which worked out well for hubby and me when flew to FL.  We didn't have to check any bags at all, we put it all in our carry on and totes bags.

The OP said they are flying on Allegiant, so no, he doesn't.  Their policy is one personal item for each person, which must fit under the seat in front of you. If you want to place a carry-on bag in the overhead bin, there's an additional charge. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Trusted Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

I fly Alaska and have never had to pay for a carry on! And it's 1 carry on per PERSON, doesn't matter if you are a couple...

I often fly Alaska to Kodiak and since I pay for my tickets with their credit card, we each get a free checked bag, too.