Honored Contributor

Great news!  For those of you thinking of coming to Hawaii, Hilton Hawaiian Village (on O'ahu) hosted its first luau (yesterday) in nearly a year.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

Re: Planning a Hawaii Vacation?

Good news!

Have stayed there for two vacations.  I loved it there! Great hotel.

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

@SurferWife That is good news!  Any restrictions?  Masks required?  There was an article on the net a few weeks ago about someone who went to Hawaii.  Too many hassles, IMO, to make it enjoyable.  Have been there several times, Maui is our favorite, and would be tempted if life were "normal."

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

@SurferWife That is good news!  Any restrictions?  Masks required?  There was an article on the net a few weeks ago about someone who went to Hawaii.  Too many hassles, IMO, to make it enjoyable.  Have been there several times, Maui is our favorite, and would be tempted if life were "normal."

@kaydee50 

I don't really pay attention to all the restrictions.  I believe the negative Covid test within 3 days of travel is still in effect.  We did just move into "Tier 3" opening (4 tiers total).  I recommend checking travel sites, as they will know more about the restrictions than I.  I don't wear a mask outside, but businesses still require them, so I wear one when I go into a place of business.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

If I had a good doggie sitter, I would be there in a heartbeat.  One week on Ohau and one week on Maui and maybe a week on the Big Island.  If I have to travel so far, I don't want a fast turn around.

I have stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village before.  Loved everything about it.  I never went to their luau though.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

loved the luau at the the royal hawaiian in honolulu. i think i loved the drinks and entertainment even more than the food.  a fun thing to do, especially in a group.

we stay at the hale koa, but i would love to do a short tour of an island or two also.

we were supposed to go to hawaii in may 2021, but after consideration, we are pushing it back to may 2022.  we were worried about the covid restrictions regarding air travel in particular and having to take a test prior to travel for both going and coming. it would cost a lot of money if we (or some of us) could not come back and would have to quarantine there for at least 14 days.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

Such a beautiful place.  We have been fortunate to visit there twice.  We probably won't return because we are on the east coast and it is a way too long flight for us.   Last time we stopped in Arizona for a few days and stayed in Sedona, that helped to break it up.

We loved our visits, we got to see a lot and especially were humbled by Pearl Harbor.  

Honored Contributor

Happy Hawaii is open for whoever wishes to go. It was never my cup of tea. 

Esteemed Contributor

My Avitar here is me taking the surfing lesson at the HHV . We resort hop between the Hilton, Hale Koa and Aulani. I know that economy wise Corona was bad for Hawaii but ecology wise I liked that the beaches and tourist waste got a break. Did they stop the weekly Friday night fireworks during quarantine? Did they start again?

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

@Nancy Drew wrote:

My Avitar here is me taking the surfing lesson at the HHV . We resort hop between the Hilton, Hale Koa and Aulani. I know that economy wise Corona was bad for Hawaii but ecology wise I liked that the beaches and tourist waste got a break. Did they stop the weekly Friday night fireworks during quarantine? Did they start again?

@Nancy Drew 

Yes, they did stop everything basically for this entire past year.  I'm not 100% certain about the fireworks starting back up.  I live on the North Shore, the complete opposite end of the island, so all I see of Waikiki is on the news...LOL!  I do go into town for my beauty appointments but none are in the heart of Waikiki, so I don't have much inside scoop on the going's on since we've entered into Tier 3 re-opening.  I do know that the Polynesian Cultural Center up here is back open, too.