Honored Contributor

Re: Planning a Hawaii Vacation?

@LindaSal wrote:

Such a beautiful place.  We have been fortunate to visit there twice.  We probably won't return because we are on the east coast and it is a way too long flight for us.   Last time we stopped in Arizona for a few days and stayed in Sedona, that helped to break it up.

We loved our visits, we got to see a lot and especially were humbled by Pearl Harbor.  

@LindaSal 

I don't blame you.  If we lived on the East coast we'd jet on down to the Caribbean!  Someday when I retire, we are moving back to the South...somewhere coastal.  Once we do that I doubt very seriously we will ever come back.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@SurferWife 

looks like i need to add the polynesian cultural center to my list of things to do and see. want to do a few new things that we did not have a chance to do two years ago. i also want to get to shangri la.

so much to see and do in hawaii and yet there are times when you just want to lay on the beach and relax and have a tropical itch cocktail. Smiley Wink

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Valued Contributor

If anyone is planning a trip to Hawaii I highly recommend The Koloa Landing Resort in Kauai.  

Respected Contributor

it is beautiful there.my husband participated in a triathlon. He did very well.will say very expensive to stay there so save your money!but worth every penny

Regular Contributor

I stayed at the Royal Hawaiian it's beautiful, the luau is fabulous.  We are planning a trip in 2022 (May as well Smiley Happy) so hoping things are much improved by then. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Kauai has had stricter regulations versus the other islands. I just read that, beginning in April, they will no longer require quarantine (which the other islands already do not), as long as one tests negative 72 hours before flight. Sounds like vaccinations are going well on the island.

Unfortunately, I’ve given up my plans for a trip. Timing no longer works out. Still one day...

Contributor

We're going to Maui in Sept. the airline says we need a COVID test with their partners I clicked to see where and it gives someone 300 miles away to go to. What's with that?
We are vaccinated so that's good. I'll have to keep looking.

Has anyone else been there recently?

Esteemed Contributor

@Ppooh  Currently Hawaii is allowing US visitors to bypass testing if they are fully vaccinated.  This was only effective as of a few days ago.  Keep your eyes on changes (because things change often!).

https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel/

There are specific rules about downloading your info into their safe travel portal as well as bringing the hard copy with you.

I'm sure you are doing this, but make sure you make any must do reservations now.   Things are supposed to be crazy in Hawaii right now, with pre-pandemic sized crowds mixed with pandemic restrictions still in place.  I haven't been to Hawaii, but will be going to Kauai in September as well.  Hoping won't be as bad as kids will be back in schools.

Otherwise, if they go back to testing, check Hawaii's website for what kind of test and where to get near you.  I think they allow CVS tests or Walgreens, etc (but do not go by that and confirm yourself.  Hawaii is specific about the kind of test.)

Valued Contributor

My in-laws on a couple of the islands say it is very busy right now.  Other family who want to visit cannot get rental cars and are paying very high rates for hotel rooms.  They recommend making dinner reservations as soon as you book accommodation as the restaurants get booked up.  Also note that some airlines have cancelled flights when they don't have enough crews retrained and ready to go.  We are putting off a family visit until things are more regular.

Contributor

AlterEgo

Thanks, I've been on aa. website and other pages have to download apps to put info into etc.

It's very confusing if your not familiar internet wise and at a mature age....lol 70s +

Don't like putting info on my phone.

Thank you for getting back to me.

My husband doen't have a smartphone so I'll have to see about his info.

Hope we don't have to get tested.