Honored Contributor

CoffeeNut and LifeIsGood....thank you as well for your messages.....and I had forgotten the name of the rail line...Cog Railway....I need to look into advanced reservations as suggested earlier.  I have never been to Colorado and understand it is a beautiful state.  I am looking forward to visiting....think I need to add some extra time in the area.  

Respected Contributor

Did not go up by rail, but by car.  Definitely not a planned expedition.  We were driving around Colorado with a friend who had just moved there.  We saw the sign Pike's Peak and not knowing anything about it, said, "lets go."  We never expected such a harrowing drive up the mountain above the tree line without guard rails, etc.  It was memorable.  When we go to the top on a sunny June day, it was snowing  Quite an experience.  I don't want to scare anybody, but somehow I believe the drive may be safer than the rail ride.  

Respected Contributor

As an adendum to my post, Colorado is just beautiful.  I recommend Garden of the Gods, Red Rocks Canyon, a stay at the YMCA of the Rockies, visiting the Continential Divide, any of the ski resorts beautiful in the summer and fall.  Be sure to visit the Three Bears Saloon in Evergreen.  A rockin place.

Respected Contributor

No problem with the altitude and breathing.

Honored Contributor

@tobes wrote:

Did not go up by rail, but by car.  Definitely not a planned expedition.  We were driving around Colorado with a friend who had just moved there.  We saw the sign Pike's Peak and not knowing anything about it, said, "lets go."  We never expected such a harrowing drive up the mountain above the tree line without guard rails, etc.  It was memorable.  When we go to the top on a sunny June day, it was snowing  Quite an experience.  I don't want to scare anybody, but somehow I believe the drive may be safer than the rail ride.  

Why would you think that?  Cog railways are one of the safest ways to travel.  There's more danger in someone driving, who isn't used to the high altitudes or the roads with no barriers, not to mention other drivers on the road.

When my friend and I visited Colorado, I drove from Denver to Durango (and back), over the Rocky Mountains.  Talk about a harrowing drive.  Breathtaking, but not for the faint of heart.

Valued Contributor

I moved to Colorado Springs in 1997 from Chicago. Before the move I spent a week here and was having all sorts of problems with the altitude. It took me about a month before I fully adapted after the move.

i have been to Pikes Peak 3 times - by car, by motorcycle and by the railway. The Cog Railway was by far my favorite. 

Honored Contributor

We went up by car so many years ago!  The car coughed and spit it's way to the top.  It was a green Dodge, as I recall.  Little bit of a headache at the top.  We lived in Colo. for a time and you bake cakes and a few other things differently at higher altitudes.  No big deal or difficulty.  Quite an adventure. Have fun.