Respected Contributor

We have Tracfones which we cannot use in Europe.  Can "travel phones" be purchased?

Also,  can Ipads be used to email to and from the U.S. and Europe?  I don't really need a phone if that works.

Honored Contributor

Re: Phones/tablets in Europe

You can use your iPad or laptop in Europe with no problems.  Just be sure to note that you will be using the internet on an unsecured server...from a hotel or cafe, be careful as would in the US about what type of information you look at...do not open your bank's app for example.

If a phone has a SIM card, it can be switched out for one that will work in Europe without having to buy a new phone.  I never did this though, I just used my phone for internet access or iPad.  Your phone should be able to connect to the internet there, no calls but you can email.

They might have throw away phones in Europe that you can use to call the US, but I have never looked into it.

Frequent Contributor

You can rent a phone while still here in the US. 

Or :

You can buy SIM cards in each country you are traveling to, every time you'd get a new number specific to that country. Only really necessary if you need to make calls in Europe to friends and family, hotels, restaurants etc.. That means you can use your phone and change out SIM cards as you go.

Or:

Using free WIFI ( WLan as it is also called) while travelling would be the cheapest ( free), but not necessairily your best choice. It all depends how often you use your devices in your day to day operations. You could make free calls while on WIFI using What's App or similar software, or pay for calls through Viber or similar.

If all you plan on doing is check email once or twice a day, and send some photos from your trip using WIFI at your hotel or where ever you stay you should be fine.

Or :

We used to buy the SIM cards as we traveled along, and it was a hassle.

On out last trip we used our new US carried, T-Mobile ( changed over from Verizon), and we liked it a lot. Free data wherever we went ( France, UK, Germany). We could look up things on the internet, check email and call and receive calls from the US for free. The few times we made calls within Europe to coordinate with a tour operator or hotel the cost was not too high, as these are short calls usually.

Hope this helps,

Have a great trip, and don't forget the proper chargers for your electronics.

Respected Contributor

You may already be aware but want to pass on in case. IPad will need Adapter. No converter necessary. I didn’t find Wi Fi all that readily available but I wasn’t at touristy places.
Trusted Contributor

@bargainsgirl I also used WhatsApp on hotel WiFi to text and make calls so that I could avoid the $10 internet charge. Sound was great, and it was free. I used the Gmail app on my phone to email. Note that the person you call or text must also have WhatsApp installed. 

Have a great trip!

Valued Contributor

@bargainsgirl

DH was in Europe for 2weeks.  He kept his I-Phone on Airplane mode once on the plane. 

He would call me using his FACE TIME app on his IPAD to my I-Phone that has FACE TIME using the Wi-Fi that was available on ship or hotel.  We just used the audio, I am not used to the Face to Face  JETSONS  style and found it a bit distracting,   

Sometimes he could hear me and I could not hear him or other way around depending on the quality of the Wi Fi.  He could also send me EMAIL with his I-Pad.  Not sure about TEXT? I don't remember but I don't think we tried the texting option. 

So we kept in touch more or less.  He would check in about twice a day  (day/eve) .  

We have heard horror stories of high DATA bills after a trip to Europe and he kept his I-Phone on AIRPLANE  MODE until his plane landed back in Atlanta,Ga.  No extra charges

Check with your carrier - they may have a Europe travel package for a price ?  

You may find more information from more experienced Europe travel folks, this is what worked for us for 2weeks during trip to Europe. 

I think this cell phone business should be world wide open and very user friendly.   All this complicated ****** is all about  MONEY of course as if we don't pay enough each month. 

Keep Calm and Travel On,  

CAT

Honored Contributor

@bargainsgirl- I don't know where you're traveling in Europe but prepaid cell phones are easy to purchase in the U.K. and inexpenisve.  You just go into a store and ask; they'll show you what's available.

When my DH had to go back after his dad died, to arrange everything, he bought a small phone, had a prepaid card added to it and the clerk in the store even charged it for him, while he was doing some other shopping, so it was all set to go for his 2+ weeks there.  We still have the phone and, should we go back, we'll take it with us.

Respected Contributor

@gacat123
@pinkmochi

Good points. I was so fearful of getting data charges on my I-phone but wanted to keep in touch on trip to Europe. I also kept phone on airplane mode while using What’s App. (Someone at phone store told me about it). It was perfect for sending texts, pictures. I would think that would work for tablet. You do need to have wi-fi. No cost. If you don’t have wi-fi the messages will come through when you get it.