Respected Contributor

Re: Philadelphia Has Closed Its Bus Terminal

[ Edited ]

There are thousands of bus stations in Philadelphia.  This one being discussed is a very old Greyhound Bus terminal.  I haven't been in that area in several years. I do remember a lot of homeless people hanging in and around this terminal.  Substance abuse going on in plain view. Sad to see these unfortunate souls, but not good for business.  Not sure how many folks use Greyhound as they did 'back in the day'.  Lots of people protesting the proposed arena, saying it will destroy the vibe of historic nearby neighborhoods, and small family businesses will suffer.  I am on their side. But I think the almighty dollar will win.

Honored Contributor

Look at the leadership in that state, can't even believe anybody stays there. They could care less about the average person trying to stay afloat. I blame the voters for poor choices.

Honored Contributor

@On It wrote:

@ValuSkr From the reporting we received out here in the hinterlands everybody and every agency at federal, state, and local worked to pull that repair off. They deserve congratulations all around.

Meanwhile back at the bus station. Is there some sort of effort by local forces to make changes to the downtown area? They certainly made a drastic move if no arena deal is in place.

I hope that all the i 's are dotted and the t 's crossed before they start tearing down buildings.

In 1998. Disney decided they were going to build a Disney Quest Building. Disney tore down the Gimbels building at 8th and Market.

The first Disney Quest popped up in Chicago. The second was planned for the city of Philadelphia.

Plans advanced pretty far down the line. Disney worked with the Goldenberg Group to start construction — and dug a giant hole on Market between 8th and 9th to pour a foundation.

But here’s the thing: In its midwestern location, DisneyQuest wasn’t doing so hot. Why? For one thing, it cost $36 to get in. That’s almost 60 bucks in today money. Sixty dollars! For a glamorized arcade! 

To Chicagoans, there were plenty of entertainment options. DisneyQuest just wasn’t it.

Realizing their hundred-million-dollar-plus operation was tanking, Disney cancelled the idea altogether. All the company left behind in Philly was a giant hole for 10 years.

Honored Contributor

Now they have a madman on the loose in Warren County. Nothing more fun that trying to stay away from an escapee with survivalist skills. 

Respected Contributor

Screenshot (144).png

The buslines have rented two storefronts, but according to news reports all you can do in them is buy a ticket. Passengers are then asked to leave. City buses also stop on this block.

It's bad enough for people who are initiating bus travel here. What do passengers do who are waiting for hours to connect with a different bus? I guess they can walk two blocks to an indoor mall, The Fashion District, which I believe still has a food court in the basement.

Honored Contributor

I hope there are other alternatives for those who want or need to travel by bus. Seems they don't want us driving cars so how are people supposed to get around?

Respected Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

Look at the leadership in that state, can't even believe anybody stays there. They could care less about the average person trying to stay afloat. I blame the voters for poor choices.

What on earth are you talking about?

We have EXCELLENT leadership in our state, if anything overly involved politicians who are dedicated to all the people.  Yes, I was born and raised in PA, and I have traveled all over the US and the world, and I choose to live here in my home state!  In fact, PA really only loses residents when they finally tire of the cold winters and decide to relocate somewhere warmer.  We are a four-season weather state and one has to be prepared for everything! We are a very diverse geographic state with large cities, small towns, rural farms, and great forests.  The cost of living is still quite reasonable in many parts of our state. 

So, after all that, the state does NOT own Greyhound.  The bus system is a private and independent company and employer and can do whatever it wants.  Yes, mostly low income people ride the bus, as we have so many, many other options (trains, subways, multiple airports, cars, etc.).  I often rode Greyhound as a poor student, but nowadays I can catch a flight on Frontier for $39.00 one way and arrive twice as fast.  

The discussion about building an arena downtown is a divisive topic that has not yet been resolved, but of course the main topic is always money, and the impact construction will have on communities.

The Greyhound bus company was not forced to close the building--they chose to shut it down to better compete with the cheaper bus lines.  It is the same as supermarkets that now have self check-out lines everywhere.  We just have to get used to the new normal that cheap prices now mean cheap service.

Respected Contributor

@FancyPhillyshopper wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

What on earth are you talking about?

We have EXCELLENT leadership in our state, if anything overly involved politicians who are dedicated to all the people.  Yes, I was born and raised in PA, and I have traveled all over the US and the world, and I choose to live here in my home state!  In fact, PA really only loses residents when they finally tire of the cold winters and decide to relocate somewhere warmer.  We are a four-season weather state and one has to be prepared for everything! We are a very diverse geographic state with large cities, small towns, rural farms, and great forests.  The cost of living is still quite reasonable in many parts of our state. 

So, after all that, the state does NOT own Greyhound.  The bus system is a private and independent company and employer and can do whatever it wants.  Yes, mostly low income people ride the bus, as we have so many, many other options (trains, subways, multiple airports, cars, etc.).  I often rode Greyhound as a poor student, but nowadays I can catch a flight on Frontier for $39.00 one way and arrive twice as fast.  

The discussion about building an arena downtown is a divisive topic that has not yet been resolved, but of course the main topic is always money, and the impact construction will have on communities.

The Greyhound bus company was not forced to close the building--they chose to shut it down to better compete with the cheaper bus lines.  It is the same as supermarkets that now have self check-out lines everywhere.  We just have to get used to the new normal that cheap prices now mean cheap service.

@FancyPhillyshopper 

Well stated!!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@FancyPhillyshopper- thank you for the clarification.

The current site of the Philadelphia Greyhound Terminal was originally the location of the Harrison Stores building, which burned down in 1984 while under renovation. In 1985, the building was demolished and replaced with the bus station. Prior to this, the Greyhound bus station was at the current site of the BYN Mellon Center at 1735 Market Street

On August 2, 2022, it was announced that the Philadelphia 76ers planned to buy the site of the Philadelphia Greyhound Terminal in order to construct the 76 Place at Market East arena that is planned to open in 2031. As a result, the Greyhound terminal would have to relocate, with possible locations including the former Philadelphia Police headquarters at 750 Race Street and the area of 30th Street Station.

On June 27, 2023, Greyhound moved their bus terminal from 10th and Filbert streets to a storefront along Market Street between 6th and 7th streets. The move was made as part of Greyhound shifting from a model with terminal bus strops to curbside bus stops.

The bus terminal along Market Street, which serves Greyhound, Peter Pan, and Flixbus, consists of a building with ticket machines and an office staffed by agents, with the buses stopping along the curb. The terminal does not have restrooms or a shelter to protect riders waiting for buses from the elements. The relocation of the bus terminal has drawn criticism from riders.

Respected Contributor

@qbetzforreal wrote:

On June 27, 2023, Greyhound moved their bus terminal from 10th and Filbert streets to a storefront along Market Street between 6th and 7th streets. The move was made as part of Greyhound shifting from a model with terminal bus strops to curbside bus stops.

@qbetzforreal 

Thanks for this information!  I did not know that the Greyhound terminal moved from Filbert Street to a storefront on Market.  Lost touch of the lay of the land when I began working from home in early 2020.  My old office was in that area near the Liberty Bell.