Trusted Contributor

Re: Passports and driver's license

You can use your passport to board a plane (stateside and internationally).

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

You might need a driver's license to board the plane, make reservations, or maybe when withdrawning money from a bank.

I don't know, but I'm traveling to Europe this fall and will have my driver's license with me just in case....better to have and not need, then to need and not have. 

It's not leaving my sight when traveling.

Honored Contributor

@haddon9   I checked things out pretty throughly and I’m pretty sure you don’t have to get a Real ID at all and just use your passport for all flights. 

My motor vehicle office is a nightmare so as long as the passport is ok I’m not getting a real Id.

Honored Contributor

I've nevwr carried my driver's license to Wurope -  have never needed it because I wasn't driving there nor to or from the airport.

I always have a photocopy of my passport info/picture page --  very useful if a pickpocket steals the content s of your purse!  I've never needed it to make a cc purchase.

Honored Contributor

My friend just hadto get a new driver's license (it was time).

I have to get one near the end of this year.

She said that they told her that soon everyone across the country will have to have the new driver's license to travel and/or a passport (fly).

I hate to drive (been in many car accidents).  But I do drive.  Now that my granddaughter can drive I let her drive me when she's home or I'm near her!

I live for the day when I live closer to the city and no longer have to drive.  It's just boring.

Esteemed Contributor

A passport is all that is necessary.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@haddon9   I checked things out pretty throughly and I’m pretty sure you don’t have to get a Real ID at all and just use your passport for all flights. 

My motor vehicle office is a nightmare so as long as the passport is ok I’m not getting a real Id.

@proudlyfromNJ  Yes I think you're right about that but I will eventally get one anyway...once all of the crowds die down.

The last time I got my license renewed it took me all of 5 minutes!  Went to triple A here and they have a DMV right there.  There was one person in front of me.

Esteemed Contributor

I haven't gotten Real ID yet and haven't decided it I will bother as I have both a passport and a passport card.  I usually keep my passport locked in hotel when I travel as I travel with multiple laminated copies of passport title pages.  I keep one in my purse and put a copy in each piece of luggage.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I travel to France three times a year and you do not need your driver license for hotels, flights, trains or for banking.  Only for driving.

You’ll need your passport for anything else. When you do duty free shopping you’ll need it. I tried using a copy of my passport for duty free shopping and it was not accepted, only the original passport would do.

When making reservations for meals, again, no passport was required, I made reservation by phone and in person, no passport needed.

When you’re paying for meals and most anything else, cash works and credit cards. Most businesses will ask you when you’re paying by credit card if you want to pay US currency rate or euro. Always pay by US rates, there will be less charges on your credit card, if any at all.

Make sure you notify you bank the dates of travel and where, otherwise they will not accept the charges.

I notify my bank the day I’ll arrive in France and the day  I leave, if I am leaving France on a Monday (France time), I tell them I’m leaving Tuesday just in case something happens, such as flight cancelled or I decide to purchase something at the duty free shop at the airport.

Have a wonderful time, fall is a wonderful time to travel, less crowds and beautiful weather.

I spent this last October in France, no rain!

Valued Contributor

"The last time I got my license renewed it took me all of 5 minutes!  Went to triple A here and they have a DMV right there.  There was one person in front of me."

Ohmigosh!  I wish we could do that here.  California's DMV is generally a nightmare.

Honored Contributor

I just got my Real ID on my birthday last month since my DL expired.  I do not have a passport.  

I wish they would combine everything.  I think the Real ID should take the place of needing a passport.  

You can go to the BMV for your state and what you need to bring with you to obtain your real ID is very clearly spelled out.  I had no issue at all but there were a lot of  people having trouble because they didn't bother to see what they should have brought.