Respected Contributor

What I don’t understand is how the family right behind you with 19 people, “not from this country” get passports? My guess is they were all US citizens just like you. 

This is the very same hassel everyone has to go through.  Even if you’ve “lived here all your life” you go through the same process as everyone. I’ve been getting passports through the years and yes sometimes it can be a hassle other times not so as long as you got all your stuff together, not a big deal.  Pretty much no different than getting your drivers license renewed.

Respected Contributor

@cbrite wrote:

Good grief....I had the worst experience a few years back trying to get one....you'd think I was from Mars.....I was born/lived in the same State all my darn life....the Postal man (where ppl go get a passport) was so mean to me...I waited in a long line, then took my pic, and he was a grouch...mean/bully....

I dropped all my papers/files/folders and they flew all over onto the floor, and no one came to help me....he was yelling something and I felt horribly ill and needed to get out and to my car asap...

I lost my photo in there and did not get one....but the family of 19 behind me who spoke no English and not from this country, all got theirs.... Go figure. Thank you USPS.

Huh? You dropped your papers on the floor and petulantly went to your car, but you are complaining about the people behind you who hung in there and got their passport pix or whatever? What does their language have to do with it?

Esteemed Contributor

@judy0330Thanks for the link!   DL's are good for travel for Nebraskan's if anyone needs to know. We'll be in Cayman Islands when my DL needs to be renewed in February . . . I don't want to return to an expired license! Great link which is updated daily.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

I have been carrying a passport for years.  Bigger and easier to find than my drivers license which is the size of a credit card.  I am renewed for ten more years.  

Esteemed Contributor

Another comment:  You can get a passport at most of your local post offices.  Easy

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

Joisey is on an extension till Oct 2018.

Joisey recently went from non-laminated paper non-photo licenses to non-laminated cardboard picture licenses.

They just recently started w/the laminated photo plastic ones.

Joisey has a loooooong way to go to get w/the times. Smiley LOL

I live in NJ and had to get a picture license in 2007.  It was laminated plastic like the one that replaced it last year.

Honored Contributor

i am all set......this year i received my state star license which is federally approved, i renewed my passport, and also got a passport card. now, where should i go in 2018? Smiley Wink

first stop......new orleans in january.......

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

What a timely post !   Was afraid that upon return from snowbird stay that our driver licenses wouldn't be valid for flight home !   Alleluia !!!!!

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

Another comment:  You can get a passport at most of your local post offices.  Easy

I just did this a few months ago.  You first have to download and print the forms at home and have them completed prior to arriving at the post office, along with the proper ID info.  If multiple copies of something are required, you have to supply them because the gov't. office is apparently  too cheap to make a copy.  IDK if it's done like this all over, but at my local office I had to schedule an appointment with the postmistress.  All she did was review my paperwork, take my picture, and take my $110 & $25 checks (passport application fee and post office service fee).  She did compliment me on my checkbook cover, though.  It's from Anuschka with a hummingbird on it.  Apparently the lady has a thing for hummingbirds.  

Honored Contributor

When I need mine renewed, I get a picture taken at CVS, print renewal papers from the computer, enclose all including old passport and check and send it through the mail. Receive new and old one back. No hassle at all and the only person I have to deal with is the photo taker at CVS.