Valued Contributor

Is it true you need a passport to fly after Jan 1? I thought I read somewhere that you are required to have one to fly. Thanks.

Valued Contributor

From the TSA website.  You can enter your state and find out whether or not a passport is required.  The page is apparently updated as things change.

https://www.dhs.gov/real-id

Honored Contributor

It depends what state you are from.  Your drivers license should be federally approved under the RealID act.  If it is you can use your drivers license.  If not, you will need a passport, unless.your state has an extension.

Honored Contributor

My state of OK has an extension until October 2018. I need to get a new passport since mine expired this year. Thanks for the reminder.

Honored Contributor

Joisey is on an extension till Oct 2018.

Joisey recently went from non-laminated paper non-photo licenses to non-laminated cardboard picture licenses.

They just recently started w/the laminated photo plastic ones.

Joisey has a loooooong way to go to get w/the times. Smiley LOL

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

Thanks for the information. We are OK from Florida, but we have passports as we almost always visit into Canada.

Honored Contributor

@OKPrincess wrote:

My state of OK has an extension until October 2018. I need to get a new passport since mine expired this year. Thanks for the reminder.

@OKPrincess Thx for sharing this info. I wondered when I would need a passport. I don't fly but you never know when you may have to get on a plane. I don't want a passport either but don't know any way around it. DH has a government id so he's good to go. Guess he will need one when he retires.

Respected Contributor

What does this really mean for citizens of the Commonwealth of Virginia?
Bottom line: Everything remains the same until October 1, 2020. Until then, Virginians can continue to use their current Virginia issued credentials to board domestic air flights and enter federal facilities. After October 1, 2020, DHS will require everyone using a state-issued driver’s license or ID card for identification to board a domestic flight or enter a federal facility to have a REAL ID compliant credential, which Virginia will begin issuing on October 1, 2018.

Valued Contributor

This literally came out this afternoon -- so it looks like even the states that would have had to use a passport now won't have to until 2020.  You chose the right day to ask the question!

"But on Thursday the TSA confirmed to Business Insider that the new requirements are being postponed until October 1, 2020. That means that drivers licenses from the nine states — Kentucky, Maine, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, and Washington — will remain valid for air travel for the next few years."

Respected Contributor

Good grief....I had the worst experience a few years back trying to get one....you'd think I was from Mars.....I was born/lived in the same State all my darn life....the Postal man (where ppl go get a passport) was so mean to me...I waited in a long line, then took my pic, and he was a grouch...mean/bully....

I dropped all my papers/files/folders and they flew all over onto the floor, and no one came to help me....he was yelling something and I felt horribly ill and needed to get out and to my car asap...

I lost my photo in there and did not get one....but the family of 19 behind me who spoke no English and not from this country, all got theirs.... Go figure. Thank you USPS.

-Do Not Copy Pls-